+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Weather Response Heating Control System

On 11/17/08 I watched Tom De Silva install a weather response control system device which provided the correct hot water temperature to heat a house based on the outside temp. However I was not able to locate the topic or episode on the website. Does anyone know the name of this product and manufacturer.
    I found a company called Heat-Timer Corp. The product name was Heat-Timer. I do not know if this is the correct product.

Default Re: Weather Response Heating Control System

I was looking for the same thing. It was discussed in an article about the best hvac systems to install if you are starting from scratch. The company mentioned is tekmarcontrols.com.

What I want to know is how I can tell if my current furnace is compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by rgerraty View Post
    On 11/17/08 I watched Tom De Silva install a weather response control system device which provided the correct hot water temperature to heat a house based on the outside temp. However I was not able to locate the topic or episode on the website. Does anyone know the name of this product and manufacturer.
    I found a company called Heat-Timer Corp. The product name was Heat-Timer. I do not know if this is the correct product.
    It was installed by This Old House HVAC expert, Rich Trethewey, not Tom Silva.

The unit was made by a company called Tekmar in Canada.

http://www.tekmarcontrols.com

I too would like more information from anyone familiar with their products. From browsing their web site, I see they have dozens of products and individual components. I believe the main unit merely installs between the existing boiler controller and the existing thermostat along with the two new temperature sensors. However it was not clear if all components are sold separately or if they come in one kit.

Does anyone know which model(s) was installed on that show?

I suppose we just can wait for TOH to update this page for episode #707:

Products & Services Page
    Last edited by sparky672; 11-25-2008 at 01:10 AM.

I think this is it here...

http://www.tekmarcontrols.com/prod/152.shtml

I'm not sure if it comes with both sensors as shown in episode 707.

Further investigation to follow.

Edit:

#152 Data Sheet

Looks like you'd wire one set of the N.O. relay contacts in series with the N.O. contacts of the existing thermostat. In that configuration both the old thermostat and this new controller would have to be calling for heat before the boiler would fire.

Edit #2:

Looks like it comes with one sensor. The one that Rich attached to the boiler water pipe.

http://www.tekmarcontrols.com/prod/071.shtml

I think you'd still need to purchase the outdoor temperature sensor seperately.

http://www.tekmarcontrols.com/prod/070.shtml
    Last edited by sparky672; 11-25-2008 at 01:10 AM.

The unit he installed had an outside temperature module and a water temperature sensor. It controlled the boiler water temperature and had no connection to the thermostat. The thermostat calls for heat the the installed unit decides if you need very hot water because it's cold outside or lower temperature water if it's only cool outside. In the one on the show the boiler output, I beleive, 187 degree water until the modules were added then it output 137 degree water because it was only coll outside.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    The unit he installed had an outside temperature module and a water temperature sensor.
    Yes it did but Tekmar only includes a water temperature sensor with the unit. The outside sensor is separate item. Maybe there's an all-in-one kit but I couldn't find it on their site.

It controlled the boiler water temperature and had no connection to the thermostat.
    There is only one way to "control the boiler water temperature" and that's to control the fire in the boiler. The boiler is fired when the thermostat calls for heat so in order to control the water temperature further, you'd need to block the thermostat's call for heat. Rich even demonstrated that the thermostat was calling for heat but the boiler was not firing

I've reviewed the technical data sheets of the unit at Tekmar's website and in my professional opinion as an engineer, the controller's contacts would need to be wired in series with the thermostat's contacts. This wiring can be physically done at the boiler which they showed Rich doing.

The thermostat calls for heat the the installed unit decides if you need very hot water because it's cold outside or lower temperature water if it's only cool outside. In the one on the show the boiler output, I beleive, 187 degree water until the modules were added then it output 137 degree water because it was only coll outside.
    Jack
    Yes. The normal operating temperature of the boiler water was 180 F. When it's above zero F outside and boiler water was also above a certain temperature setting like 137 F, the unit prevented the thermostat from calling for more heat. As soon as boiler water drops below 137 or if it gets below zero F outside, the unit again allows the thermostat to call for heat.

i'm pretty sure the thermostats in the room controlled the valves at the manifold and circulation pumps for the zones. the set point temps is what controlled the boiler firing instead of always kicking on when the water temp drops to 160 and firing until the water hits 180 when it is warmer outside it wouldn't kick on till the water drops to say 140 and would fire until the water reaches 160. if i recall correctly they had floor radiant heating and a special mixer valve between the boiler and the manifold that would mix water from the boiler and take it down to 130-140 degrees to circulate on the coldest days and this is what interfaced with the outside temperature sensor because it would mix the water cooler like 85 to 90 degrees on the milder days.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky672 View Post
    Yes it did but Tekmar only includes a water temperature sensor with the unit. The outside sensor is separate item. Maybe there's an all-in-one kit but I couldn't find it on their site.

There is only one way to "control the boiler water temperature" and that's to control the fire in the boiler. The boiler is fired when the thermostat calls for heat so in order to control the water temperature further, you'd need to block the thermostat's call for heat. Rich even demonstrated that the thermostat was calling for heat but the boiler was not firing

I've reviewed the technical data sheets of the unit at Tekmar's website and in my professional opinion as an engineer, the controller's contacts would need to be wired in series with the thermostat's contacts. This wiring can be physically done at the boiler which they showed Rich doing.

Yes. The normal operating temperature of the boiler water was 180 F. When it's above zero F outside and boiler water was also above a certain temperature setting like 137 F, the unit prevented the thermostat from calling for more heat. As soon as boiler water drops below 137 or if it gets below zero F outside, the unit again allows the thermostat to call for heat.
    I'm womdering if the unit isn't the model 256.

Anyway .....

I'm not an expert on boilers .... however .... the way I see it the controller doesn't block the thermostat calling for heat.

When the thermostat calls for heat this engages the circulating pump .... the Tekmar controller still allows this to happen but determines when to fire the boiler and for how long to maintain the temperature of the water.

The controller monitors the outdoor temperature probe and based on the programmed setpoint values compares the water temperature ( from the temp. probe on the supply riser ) to determine if that is enough to satisfy the heat requirement.

In other words .... the thermostat calls for heat ( you don't want to prevent that ) which engages the circulating pump ..... the controller reads the water temperature at the boiler and compares the outside temperature and determines whether or not the water is warm enough to provide the demand for heat.

For example ... if the current temperature of the water at the boiler is 150 degrees and based on the outdoor probe it's been determined by the controller 140 degrees is all that's needed ..... then this water would simply be circulated without firing the boiler.

The boiler would only fire to maintain the temperature required.

The one thing I'm not certain is ....... if it ramps up the temperature if the thermostat demand is taking too long in being met.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    i'm pretty sure the thermostats in the room controlled the valves at the manifold and circulation pumps for the zones. the set point temps is what controlled the boiler firing instead of always kicking on when the water temp drops to 160 and firing until the water hits 180 when it is warmer outside it wouldn't kick on till the water drops to say 140 and would fire until the water reaches 160. if i recall correctly they had floor radiant heating and a special mixer valve between the boiler and the manifold that would mix water from the boiler and take it down to 130-140 degrees to circulate on the coldest days and this is what interfaced with the outside temperature sensor because it would mix the water cooler like 85 to 90 degrees on the milder days.
    You make a good point.

However, on a one-zone gravity feed system (no pump), the thermostat is the only device calling for heat.

I called my oil company and they said that a weather responsive control runs more than $1000. Is this truly the ballpark for the equipment? I don't want to mess with installing it myself; does anyone know where else I might look for weather responsive control installation?