McDaniel,

Thanks for your replys and valuable information. I was using info provided by the electrician. I took an indepth look at the circuit.

Here it is: 1st Circuit. Supply to 1 receptacle adjacent to supply box, light, light, light, light, smoke detector, light and a switch to operate the last light.

Second circuit. I have another circuit in the basement used only for 5 receptacles placed around the basment.

I called upon an electrician to place a switch to operate 2 lights on the left side of the basement and a switch to operate the 2 lights onthe right side of the basement. From what he quoated me he was going to eliminate 4 lights on the first circuit (4 lights which were pull string).
Run wire from the second circuit's 1st receptacle to two single pole switches to operate light fixtures on the left side of the basement.

Second step was to run a wire from the last receptacle from the second circuit to two single pole switches to operate the light fixtures on the right side of the basement.

Total of 4 single pole switches to operate each light fixture individually. I was hoping to use the 1st circuit to operate the light fixtures and the second circuit to operate the receptacles.