+ Reply to Thread

Default We are down to two contractors - now what can we expect?

We are down to our list of 2 design build/contractors for a major remodel of our house (Approx $300K+ project). Should we have both do a detailed bid of what each piece of the project will cost, suggestions they have for each, breakdown of labor, materials, etc (I did read Tom Silva article #5) - and will it be worth it to pay for that. For example, one will do this (very detailed) and commit to being within 10% of final but it costs $1,700. $700 of which goes to project if we choose them.
    Both companies have positive aspects to each - we are just not sure who to choose!! I'm not sure how much detail to expect for "free" but am also nervous to commit when I want someone who will work with us to do the best job and to invest in projects that are going to make us happiest and be of best resale value.

Default Re: We are down to two contractors - now what can we expect?

With a project of this size, you might want to hire each contractor to do a smaller project, such as a bathroom remodel. Small job, small commitment, you get to see their work and work with them to find out if you're compatible with the contractor.

For example, one will do this (very detailed) and commit to being within 10% of final but it costs $1,700. $700 of which goes to project if we choose them.
    As good as this sounds, I'll lay odds that this contractor ends up being more expensive in the long run. The reason being is that it's hard to foresee problems with the structure or the overall job that will require further attention. To stay within that 10%, the overall price will be higher.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: We are down to two contractors - now what can we expect?

Do you have a set of plans and a specification book that they prepared their bid from? The plans and spec should include everything they are responsible for doing.

Getting a breakdown from the general of what each of his subs cost shouldn't be a problem - it's done all the time.