+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom Window Over Tub/Shower Combo

I am building a new bathroom and like the idea of a window over the bathtub. The tub will also have a shower head ... a fairly common feature in my area.

Has anyone encountered issues doing this? I realize it will need to be made water tight.

Default Re: Bathroom Window Over Tub/Shower Combo

I have encountered alot of bathtubs with windows. Many of them have water problems. Specifically, water getting behind the tiles and the tiles coming loose. Make sure that the sill has some pitch built into it so that the water will run off. This will be your biggest help in keeping the water from standing after the shower is used. On a four inch sill I would make the window edge of the sill atleast 1/8" to 1/4" higher than the front edge. Check the calking on a regulat basis to make sure it isn't getting frayed or coming loose.

Default Re: Bathroom Window Over Tub/Shower Combo

Using a vinyl window would be a good start. You would probably have problems with a wood window. Another thing you can do is to put a shower curtain in front of the window. My grandmother has a house with a window in the shower/bath and she did this. You could have it open when soaking in the tub and close it when taking a shower to help protect the area around the window. Hope this helps you out.