+ Reply to Thread

Default Stainer on Floor

My brilliant roomate stained a piece of wood to make a table about 5 months ago. She put a plastic sheet over the wooden floor of our living room and stained the table. For some reason, the stainer left a light film over the wooden floor, maybe eight or nine square feet. I rubbed a little Goo Gone on a small spot, and the film came off. I told her she could probably use Goo Gone to get the film off. She did nothing for the next 5 months, then, right before leaving the country for 2 months, just totally went wild with the Goo Gone and coated the whole area with the stuff. Now, the film is whiter, thicker, and looks horrible. My landlord, who lives below us, will not be happy if he sees this. I have tried scraping off the film -- it DOES come off, but with much effort. I don't know if scraping will be the best method to remove it. I've applied Isoprophyl rubbing alcohol (70%) to small areas and then used soft sandpaper. The film has sort of comes off in these spots, but sometimes a less spotty, smoother white film/sheen appears. A friend said the floor is "stripped" and we're screwed, but I think this can be taken care of with sandpaper and the right kind of liquid solution... any suggestions?

Smile Re: Stainer on Floor

Speaking as a landlord myself who in this case owns just one rental house I would be real mad if the floors were in perfect condition like it sounds like your floors were.
    If the floors were some kind of film laminate then they are completely ruined and will have to be entirely replaced. If not and they are real wood or at least a good laminate of wood then there is a good chance that the floor can be refinished. Either way though I think this is a job for a professional as you don't seem to be doing the floor any good from what I have read.
    The best thing though is for you to be honest about the ruined floor and to try to gather as much money as possible together to try to pay for the damage that was done. Maybe a family member might know of a contractor you could discreetly ask to come over and give you an estimate then get your money for your rent together and as much as you can for the repairs. You still might be evicted depending on what your lease says as I am sure there is a clause in there about not making alterations as any good lease usually has that. At least though if you make a good faith effort to try to pay for the damages ahead of any eviction you may still have at least some of your security deposit coming back to you depending on how much new flooring will cost or if it can be repaired and any other damages that may be present.
    This though is not entirely your fault and your room mate should pay for at least some of the damages as it was her project to begin with. You can still be held accountable though as you should have stopped her from doing this in the first place.
    Anyone who rents should be very careful with the premises they rent and there is no excuse for damages like this. There are plenty of places out there where you can do wood working projects or even refinish something and not make a mess of your place. Little tiny projects that you can do on a table that will only damage that table are great in a rental but when you try other things like finishing furniture this is what can happen. I really and truly wish you luck and hope your landlord doesn't evict you as if you are honest now about it before he or she finds out you might get lucky and not be evicted. With the economy being the way it is too you certainly don't want to be put on the street now. I am sure that is why your room mate finished that table instead of buying a new one. Good luck!