+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Major Crack in Ceiling Drywall

I have a major crack that has worsened on the ceiling drywall of our bedroom. It is located at the base corner of a pop-up and runs from the corner to the wall (About a foot and a half). I went into the attic to have a better look and sure enough the crack goes completly through the drywall(I can see light from the bedroom below through the crack. Our house is located in Texas and is over 18 years old so it has been around awhile. We have been in it two years. There are no cracks in the walls so I hope this is not a foundation problem, but maybe just some shifting or settling. I see some smaller cracks begining on the opposite side as well. Finally, it appears that the previous owner might have made repairs as the texturing is slightly different. I have two questions.
    1) What might be causing this to occur? Is this a major problem? 2) What is the best way to repair a crack that has gone all the way through the drywall.

Default Re: Major Crack in Ceiling Drywall

perhaps you could post a photo including the attic view.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

as canuk says please post a photo. I have a few questions that may be simply answered in a photo.

Thanks. I will post a picture here shortly.

Hi I live in Dallas also. I'm sure you already know just how expansive Texas clay soils are and how well it will hold water. You can continue to fix drywall cracks over and over like I did or you can fix them all at once just as soon as your foundation has been repaired. Actually it's recommended waiting a month as the house will want to twist back to where it was before. It makes a lot of sense to have some foundation companies come in and get some readings and do a visual inspection to see what the house is actually doing. Most home insurance will also pay for a plumbing test to be done free of charge so you may look into that. If you have a leak under the slab from a supply or return water line the clay soil will hold this saturation for months even after it is repaired all while causing the foundation to heave in the area of the leak. But keeping an eye on the space between the perimeter beam and soil contact is very important. In the hot months I've seen homes with a gap of 1 1/4". This shrinking of the soil is not what you want happening. You can also check around the perimeter beam for vertical cracks that are consistently the same distance apart. This indicates the soil in that area is heaving due to improper drainage. This can be easily fixed by gutter work, grading with cushion sand or installing catch basins and diverting the water away from that area. A Large tree close to the house will also consume hundreds of gallons of water each day right from where your house needs it the most. But 2' deep root barriers only work for so long as the roots will eventually do a crazy loop de loop and get under it. Let me know if you want to know the foundation company I ended up choosing to do the work.

But to answer your other question. That would be to stabilize it near the crack with what ever joists you can catch with screws. Or since you have attic access and you have already located the crack you can use blocking to secure the crack. Sc**** and clean the area apply fiberglass mesh tape but just be sure to use a setting type compound "hot mud" with that type of tape after the hot mud sets you can use an all purpose or topping from there on out