+ Reply to Thread

Default Rotten door jamb and more

I was installing a new storm door to the front of the house this weekend and found the bottom five inches of the doorjamb is rotted (where the closer bracket needed to be screwed onto) (see photo). The king and jack studs are also rotted away behind the jamb, from the sill plate up 5-6 inches.
    I'm concerned about structural integrity as the king and jack studs not intact from top plate to the sill. I've attached a photo of the jamb where I've screwed in a piece of sheet metal until I can get it repaired properly. Behind the metal plate is the rotten area (about the width of a stud and extends in at least 6-8 inches horizontally and down a few inches to the sill.
    My question: Should the king and jack studs be replaced from the sill to the top plate or can I use something like a scarf joint to repair them once I've gained access to them?
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jamb.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	1864  

Default Re: Rotten door jamb and more

You can just replace the bottoms but cut the king and jack stud at different heights. Cut one at say 8" and the other at 16". I like to nail and glue the two replacement sections together. I would also be concerned about what is below the th studs.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the suggestions; I'm going to wait until spring and warmer weather since concrete work is going to be involved.
    Bob

Do I loose points by calling them trimmers? Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by remedialmofo View Post
    Do I loose points by calling them trimmers? Hahaha
    Only one poster thinks there is one and only one name for everything. You can even mispell it if you want to.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Only one poster thinks there is one and only one name for everything. You can even mispell it if you want to.
    Jack
    Jack are you making fun of my spelling again??
    I don't think its my spelling, I think somebody is moving the keys on my keyboard.