+ Reply to Thread

Default Need Basement Wall Cinder Block Ideas, Photo Attached

I am in the process of re-doing my hallway that leads into my basement. As soon as I am done typing this post I am going to finish sanding the new sheetrocked walls and prime. If you look in the picture, I have cinder blocks below the new sheetrock. I do not like the appearance of the cinder blocks and I do not want to frame-in because it will take up space for getting appliances (washer, dryer, refrig, etc) in and out of the basement. Any ideas on what to do with these cinder blocks?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	basw.jpg 
Views:	862 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	1827  

Default Re: Need Basement Wall Cinder Block Ideas, Photo Attached

Quote Originally Posted by lthomps222 View Post
    I am in the process of re-doing my hallway that leads into my basement. As soon as I am done typing this post I am going to finish sanding the new sheetrocked walls and prime. If you look in the picture, I have cinder blocks below the new sheetrock. I do not like the appearance of the cinder blocks and I do not want to frame-in because it will take up space for getting appliances (washer, dryer, refrig, etc) in and out of the basement. Any ideas on what to do with these cinder blocks?

do the walls stay dry? if they never have moisture going through them you can actually adhear 1/2 inch drywall straight to the block without framing then you are losing only one inch. you can just simply put dabs of drywall mud on the back of the sheetrock and it will act as an adhesive and you then use small cut nails (concrete nails) to just hold the board in place till the mud dries.

Havanagranite: That's an idea I can try. It will be tough getting drywall screws into the cinderblocks though. I will give a test try driving a screw into the blocks and see if it's an option. I have included a few pictures since this morning (I just primed). And yes, the blocks stay dry, they are above grade. The bottom half of blocks I think I will paint a dark color. Thanks for the idea, if it works I will most likey use it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baswp.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	1828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baswpu.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	1829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baswpu2.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	1830  

you don't put screws into the block.
    cut your rock to fit then put generous dabs of mud on the back of the rock about 12 inches apart all over the complete back. put the rock into place and press it good agains the block. then you take a couple of concrete nails and nail them into the morter joints to hold the rock into place till the mud on the back dries. once those dabs of mud on the back dries you won't hardly be able to rip it off the block, it will hold real good. your biggest thing will be making you have it pressed firmily back to the block so the mud gets a good bond so don't be stingy with the mud dabs put them at least 1/2 inch thick so when you press they will spread out and make a good bond

I had the same problem in the same area. If you have not done anything yet --- which might be unlikely at this point -- you can do what i did.

I had it plastered over and smoothed out to look like the drywall. It is perfect...only difference is it is hard as concrete. You have to put a bonding coat on the concrete blocks first...but it is worth the work.