+ Reply to Thread

Default Creepy Creeping Charley

I have tried the old use Borax method to try and eradicate my creeping charley problem that I have had ever since I moved into my home 6 years ago. The only thing it seems to do is temporarily kill it out, but in the process it kills the surrounding grass. Is there anything else outside of ripping out my lawn and starting over that could actually work without killing my lawn? I have been told by many people that Borax is the only thing that works. Is this really true? Help!

Default Re: Creepy Creeping Charley

If you find a solution please let us all know. I have it bad . It comes from the woods next to me and is taking over my yard. I have pulled and pulled to no avail.

Google creeping charlie and you will see that it is everywhere and people are trying hard to kill it.
    Marie Kap

Creeping charley can be controlled by any number of lawn weed killers. Speedzone and Weedbeater Ultra are two. Check the labels. More than one application may be needed. Neither of the two products mentioned will hurt grass.

Are these ok to use when you have a well in the yard? That is the only thing I am afraid of when using real strong weed killers.
    Marie Kap

We had the same problem here when we bought the place in '87; creeping charlie everywhere.

I sprayed it with 2,4,D which is basically the same thing as Weed-B-Gone. In that it is a broadleaf weed killer, it won't harm the grass provided that you don't really over do it.

Application needs to be made when conditions are favorable for rapid growth, i.e....when temps are warm and there is adequate moisture present. I found that using 2,4,D on CC requires two applications approx. ten days apart. The first application will cause stress on the plant visible by wilting leaves and the second application will kill it.

Tri-mec (sp?) will also work and seems to work a bit more rapidly.

If your neighbors don't keep theirs under control, it will return to your yard in a year or so. That's the problem we face here. I usually spray every other year as some really small plants will reappear by then. Better to get 'em while they're still small cause they kill easier.

If you can get a healthy thick lawn established, the potential for repopulation with CC becomes far less. Exposed bare dirt is the ideal environment for weeds to get a foothold.

We have a well here also and neither I nor my wife have grown a third eye yet.

http://www.24d.org/newsarticles/Pesticide-Net-RED.pdf

(see page 5)

If you are only spot-treating, then well contamination becomes even less of a concern.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 12-24-2008 at 09:46 AM.

I have a well too and don't worry about minor surface treatment of the lawn.
    As ****hiller said the best time to hit it is when it's actively growing.

Thanks , So am I understanding it right? The best time for me to hit this is in the spring?
    Marie Kap

Yes, when it greens up & starts growing.