+ Reply to Thread

Question Cranking noise (clunks) when air heater comes on.

We recently moved into a 31 yr old ranch house and this problem is driving us crazy.

Every time the heater comes on (and now a days it is frequent) we get these clunks in our master bedroom near the air outlet. I also found it is there at various other spots as well, throughout the house. They continue to come even after the heater is off (as long as 4-5 min. after it is stopped)

I went to the basement (70 % finished) to see where is coming from and I can see it is coming from the end of the big pipe that is going into the room floor.

How can I dampen or eliminate this noise?? Is this a common occurrence?

Your help is much appreciated - Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Cranking noise (clunks) when air heater comes on.

Most likely it is the expansion and contraction of the ductwork against framing members.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Exclamation Re: Cranking noise (clunks) when air heater comes on.

Thanks for your reply.

Any remedy on reducing or eliminating it?

Thanks again,

Isolation is the only remedy. Any place you see framing touching the duct, force a little fiberglass insulation in or enlarge the hole. You don't need much, you just need to NOT have contact with the duct.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mpathak View Post
    We recently moved into a 31 yr old ranch house and this problem is driving us crazy.

Every time the heater comes on (and now a days it is frequent) we get these clunks in our master bedroom near the air outlet. I also found it is there at various other spots as well, throughout the house. They continue to come even after the heater is off (as long as 4-5 min. after it is stopped)

I went to the basement (70 % finished) to see where is coming from and I can see it is coming from the end of the big pipe that is going into the room floor.

How can I dampen or eliminate this noise?? Is this a common occurrence?

Your help is much appreciated - Thanks in advance.
    Good advice here:

How to Quiet a Noisy Forced-Air System: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...047185,00.html

Quieting Noisy Ducts: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/askt...131823,00.html

Thumbs up Re: Cranking noise (clunks) when air heater comes on.

Thank you again A. Spruce and Blue Ridgeparkway..This is great advice..Next stop Lowes - Fiberglass insulation and the rubber pads..

Thanks you!

you are welcome and good luck.