+ Reply to Thread

Default Victorian porch spindles

I've been trying to find someone to re-produce approximately 60 spindles from one of the 28 originals we've found in the garage. Local and ****** sources that do lathe/turning work have priced them at roughly $35 a piece which is way outside our budget. The problem is the house was originally built as a twin in 1907 but designed to look like a single family and the other half of the porch has all the original spindles so we can't just replace them all with something else.

Can anyone offer any advice or assistance? I tried to post an image of what they look like but was unable to. Persistence paid off, here is the image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NeighborsPorchCloseUp.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	1843  
    Last edited by empcrh; 11-20-2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Trying to add an image of the neighbors rail.

Default Re: Victorian porch spindles

One thing would be to find a stock baluster that is close, like this http://www.archturnings.com/2006P-plain-p-16237.html, you could even alternate them with originals. Once installed and painted most people won't notice the difference. Mass produced balusters is the only way you can save money on a project like this. Even a wood turner with a good duplicator would have set-up time, run time and material and would be hard pressed to do it for less.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Victorian porch spindles

I think itís a good time to learn wood turning. At that price, you could purchase a good lathe and duplicator and do it yourself. When youíre finished, re-sell the lathe and youíll be money ahead. Good Luck!!!
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.