+ Reply to Thread

Default pouring footing while temp is below freezing?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but it's the closest I could find.

I need advice on whether I should pour the footing for my outbuilding at this time, when it is often below freezing for several days on end (my property is at 9800 feet in the rockies).

If I do pour, what special precautions should I take: admixtures, covering the pour, etc?

The outbuilding will be 22x22, the excavation is 5 feet deep at one end and over 7 at the other (because of the grade). The footing will be 16 inches wide, 10 inches deep. There is no power at the property yet (solar will go in as soon as I get the outbuilding dried in), so I can't use the electric concrete blankets I've seen for sale.

Default Re: pouring footing while temp is below freezing?

In general if the footing is down in the ground below the frost line covering the pour with poly & straw will keep the concrete from freezing while it cures. The heat from the curing & the insulation of the dirt & covering should be keep it from freezing if the weather isn't too drastic.
    The trick will be building the foundation wall & pouring a slab without them freezing. Admixtures can be used for mortar, but mortar is more susceptible to freezing.

If you have the opportunity to use insulated concrete forms (ICF) that would help.

The concrete will or should have air entrainment admixture for cold temperatures.

here is a link provided with some information :
    http://www.cement.ca/cement.nsf/sear...40&oldcount=10

Hope it helps.

Re: pouring footing while temp is below freezing?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    (If you have the opportunity to use insulated concrete forms (ICF) that would help.

The concrete will or should have air entrainment admixture for cold temperatures)

There is a ICF for footings on the market? Appoligies if I misunderstood that last post.

Joe

[QUOTE=slojo;8727]Re: pouring footing while temp is below freezing?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    (If you have the opportunity to use insulated concrete forms (ICF) that would help.

There is a ICF for footings on the market? Appoligies if I misunderstood that last post.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by pbiron View Post
    I need advice on whether I should pour the footing for my outbuilding at this time, when it is often below freezing for several days on end (my property is at 9800 feet in the rockies).

If I do pour, what special precautions should I take: admixtures, covering the pour, etc?

The outbuilding will be 22x22, the excavation is 5 feet deep at one end and over 7 at the other (because of the grade). The footing will be 16 inches wide, 10 inches deep. There is no power at the property yet (solar will go in as soon as I get the outbuilding dried in), so I can't use the electric concrete blankets I've seen for sale.
    Thanx for the replies everyone, especially the links about cold weather concreting. I guess I should have mentioned in my original post that the walls will be cinder block (and there won't be a slab), maybe that would have prevented any confusing about why I'm not using ICFs.

Special thanx to ed21 for making me think about the conditions for the mortar as well, I was so focused on the concrete that I wasn't thinking about the mortar for the cinder block walls.

Since my original post I have talked to a nearby (nothing is really local where I am :-) readymix company, and they say, yes, they can pour when it's below freezing. I'm now convinced it is *possible*, the question now is do I really want to do it. After all, I won't start on the rest of the structure until the spring anyway, so what would it buy me to get the foundation done now...a couple of weeks at most.

pvb