+ Reply to Thread

Default Updating a small porch on an old home

We are in the process of replacing the vinyl siding on our home with a 6-7/8 inch lap board. We want to update our entryway, which consists of a small porch / overhang. Originally the idea was to cover the existing woodwork of the overhang and update the wrought iron posts with columns but I am wondering if it's possible to do a gabled roof without blocking the window above it. I am also considering a flat roof with columns, with the roof extending a little wider. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated! (Photo of existing structure is attached.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front of House.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	1824  

Default Re: Updating a small porch on an old home

By replacing the columns you could lower the seat cut (bearing elevation) of the rafters to allow the gable to peak below the window above. I'd try to match the pitch or slightly lower the pitch to mimick the dormers at the second floor. A flat roof if well detailed would look nice too. But what really strikes me about the front of this house, and would make a world of difference is the empty space above the picture window - maybe put a trim header that aligns with the new fascia on the entry roof.

Default Re: Updating a small porch on an old home

Extending the shed roof out and over the mulled window set would balance out the look.