+ Reply to Thread

Default How to remove smoke smell from table that was in house fire

I need help--I am refinishing a table that was in a house fire. There is still a "smoky" odor to it after 1 1/2 yrs sitting in an ourdoor shed. How can I get rid of this without damaging the wood? I have been able to sand most of it down but the underneath side is still "sooty". Thanks you

Default Re: How to remove smoke smell from table that was in house fire

you might try washing with TSP trisodium phosphate then neutralizing it per the directions usually with vinegar and water then rinsing. let dry then sealing the underside with clear dewaxed shellac surfaces.

I am a Furniture Re-finisher by trade. Over 30 yrs experience with this type of thing.

The trouble as i can read it is that the table is still smelling burnt !!!!. If the table is totally stripped down to the bare wood you will need to wash it down with lacquer thinners totally, every square inch. Remember to wear gloves and an air breather as not to inhale the fumes. You'll need to was down even the undersides. You will find when you do the soot can be washed off.
    Then you must sand every piece of wood clean removing the layer of soot that isn't easily washed off YES even the underside of the op and even the backs of the aprons....... everywhere. When your done this you will need to dust off the table and apply a stain to all the underside. A stain that is close to your desired colour is best. Then you will need to seal the wood with what ever type of product you are gonna use to finish your table with. Myself, I would give it at least 3 good coats of finish.
    Then you'll need to finish the rest of the table and base or legs etc.... sand down good and finish to your liking.

The key to the whole thing is to remove ALL the soot and dirt that make it smell..............or if all else fails...........take it to a local Refinishing Company and they can price it out for you and do all the dirty work for you.

Hope it helps

Dropyourguns' treatment might be appropriate in an extreme case, but I think BlueRidgeParkway has a more pragmatic course: A Good cleaning followed by sealing with shellac. Those who do fire restoration on homes have long used Bin sealer to stop the acrid burned odor. Bin is basicly shellac with white pigment in it. Bin is used for a whole range of odor control including sealing in cat and pet odors.