+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Water Supply to House

I have a house built in 1929 and the cast supply pipe from the street to the house has never been replaced. I was inquiring about an inground sprinkler system and was told the volume of water was to low, likely because of years of build up within. My family and I have noticed this in day to day use (showers, toilets and washer, etc,...) and wondered if the gunk in the old pipes is able to be blown out, similar to a sprinkler system being prepped for winter. We have had other cast pipes replaced and saw that the pipes were choked by build up. Replacing the cast supply pipes isn't a financially viable option at this point. Please help.

Default Re: Water Supply to House

I think you mean steel pipe, not cast iron.

More to the point, I am not aware of any method or product that can effectively and economically scour the pipe of its build-up of corrosion and/or hard water deposits. Replacing the pipe is your best option if the flow is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by rdesigns View Post
    I think you mean steel pipe, not cast iron.

More to the point, I am not aware of any method or product that can effectively and economically scour the pipe of its build-up of corrosion and/or hard water deposits. Replacing the pipe is your best option if the flow is unacceptable.
    thanks- not the answer I was hoping for but the one I thought was most likely.

I don't understand. Putting in an in-ground sprinkler system is viable but have water to the house isn't?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I don't understand. Putting in an in-ground sprinkler system is viable but have water to the house isn't?

Jack
    We found the source of the problem when we wanted to put in an IGS and were unable. Thank you for your reply.