+ Reply to Thread

Default Cleaning up mold after a flood

My basement recently flood twice after recent heavy rains. I tried to dry out the area as soon as possible and I immediately cut out all the wet carpet, but I now have mold growth. The mold is creeping up from behind baseboards and from behind my baseboard water heater onto a painted wood panel surface. It doesn't appear to be black mold, but is a turquoise color. It has been about 2-3 weeks since the last flood.

What is the best way to kill this mold that is visible and also what is likely growing behind the baseboard? I scrubbed the areas with a commercial cleaner and am running the dehumidifier to keep the moisture low, but I don't know if this will be enough.

Help please!

Default Re: Cleaning up mold after a flood

Yes, behind the wood paneling is dry wall.

Seymour - CT

Default Re: Cleaning up mold after a flood

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and e Center for Disease Control, any organic, porous and absorbent materials that came in contact with water, and were not completely dry in less then 48 hours, need to be completely removed and discarded, otherwise mold will grow.

These materials include: wood, drywall, fiberglass insulation, paper, fabrics, carpets and carpet pads, mattresses and upholstery.

There is no 100% effective or safe way to remove mold from such surfaces because the mold roots deeply into them. Even though it is not black mold, keep in mind that every mold species is bad news in a home. Even non-toxic species release spores in the air that will trigger allergy symptoms in sensitive people and pets.In fact mold is the second most common cause of indoor allergies in the U.S.. The first in dust mites and they both thrive under the same conditions.
    Here's more information about mold:
    Mold Facts and Myths

Once you cleaned up the area, have an interior drainage and a sump pump system with battery backup pump installed. That will prevent floods from happening, whether they are ground water seepage or plumbing accidents.

Alternatively consider refinishing your basement with 100% waterproof cement core insulated wall panels and plastic floating flooring tiles that will not get damaged by water.