+ Reply to Thread

Default New old home, pine floor flipping questions

I just purchased a home built in 1828. The bedrooms have stinky old carpets. I lifted a carpet and there is plywood and a thin layer of foam on top of that. I want to have wood floors since my son has allergies. The floor has several coats of paint on it. Someone told me I should just flip all of the boards and then begin the refinishing process.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Feel free to add any other tips or helpful suggestions.

Thanks

Default Re: New old home, pine floor flipping questions

If it were me...

If you flip the boards, you're going to have some work ahead of you, could damage some of them, and may have to replace some of them. Why not just sand the ones that are already in place and finish them?? You'll have to sand the boards if you flip them, anyway. Save yourself some work and just sand them in place and then put your varnish or whatever, on them.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the reply,

That was my first idea. But a builder told me that it would be difficult to strip/sand the layers of paint off. He also mentioned that there is surely lead paint and that could be dangerous.

I would prefer to not flip the boards, but if it's going to save lots of time, I may consider it.

The other issue is, once I tear the downstairs ceiling down, if it's a post and beam, I want to go with that look. And If I flip the boards, well....I'll have to start over....

The other problem is that most solid wood flooring are not flat on the underside. because of the glue lines and at the age you are talking about the bottoms are often rough cut and the boards are dry and extremely brittle. I would suggest you do as suggested above and rent a sander. A random orbital is the easiest to use but the drum sander is more aggressive.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 11-12-2008 at 11:57 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Now that I have given it more thought. Flipping the boards does seem to present many problems both seen and unseen. I am curious about trying the Silent Paint Remover as demonstrated and raved about in the following article.

As I continue to formulate my opinion and plan of action you can read it at:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...6353-5,00.html