+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Kitchen Island legs

How do we secure the island legs to the wood floor? I thought I saw how it was done in an issue of TOH mag. but can't locate the article. Thanks

Default Re: Kitchen Island legs

If you haven't installed the legs yet, you can cut a "foot" and screw it to the bottom of the leg. Of course you would cut the leg shorter by the thickness of the foot. Once you have the foot on the bottom it should stick out beyond the face of the leg and you can nail or screw it to the floor. The foot could be dressed up with a router to have a moulded edge or chamfered edge to make it look like it belongs there.

If you have the leg already in place and can't screw the foot onto the bottom of the leg, you could always cut the leg in place, the thickness of the foot and then slip it under the leg. Once in place, you could toe nail it onto the leg and then anchor the foot to the floor.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

How about gluing it to the floor.

I think it would be better to just let the legs float on the floor to allow for expansion and contraction of all the wood involved.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Ideas:

1. You could drill a hole in the floor, one in the leg, and glue a dowel pin in place; then it would be completely hidden.

2. Use a dowel screw instead of a dowel pin. This will require installing the legs first, then attaching the rest of the island to the legs. It should be stronger than a dowel pin, as it's steel instead of wood.

3. You could run a hanger bolt into the floor, drill a hole into the end of the leg to accept it; drill a hole in the side of the leg to accept a threaded insert and put a set screw in the threaded insert tightened up against the hanger bolt. Cover the set screw/insert with a wooden plug or button.

Hanger bolts & dowel screws:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1694

Threaded inserts:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1048

Dowel pins, plugs, buttons:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?DeptID=3064
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

You can pretty much use any technique that would work in a similar situation and materials (floor surface, subfloor type counter support type, wall/cabinet structure) as you would use to install a newel post for a stairway banister in a similar configuration (free standing or from a wall). You need security and stability in your installation to resist tear out and support the loads.

Hope that helps.