+ Reply to Thread
    Across the river from PDX airport in Vancouver, WA

Default Concrete driveway settled slightly toward garage...

Hi all

I'm in the Pacific Northwest, with mild, wet winters. My house is about 10 years old, and a few things have settled a bit. I don't really mind about a few cracks in the garage floor, etc and have adjusted binding doors.

BUT, the driveway is becoming a problem. The concrete driveway is about 20 * 32, with expansion joints making 6+ panels (street curves in front of house so there are some small segments). It has a VERY slight slope from the sidewalk towards the house - probably way too slight in fact.

One of the two panels near the garage seems to have settled somewhat, and is now sloping ever so slightly towards the garage door. In typical light Northwest drizzle, the eve overhang along with the broom texture of the concrete is enough to keep water from the garage door, but in any significant rain, there's a slight pool that forms against the door. I've already had to replace a piece of the expansion felt strip between the garage floor and the driveway panel due to deterioration - and I'm sure that the water leaking down makes the settling worse. Fortunately, no damage to the metal door or to the wood around the door.

Any ideas what I can do? Do I need to have that panel broken out and a new one poured in with a bit of slope away? Should I cut a drain grate in that corner of that panel? I'm worried that if I cut a drain too close to the edge of the panel, I'll crack the corner off, which might settle worse...

Any advice is appreciated!

RickNearPDX

Default Re: Concrete driveway settled slightly toward garage...

Rich,

Two possibilities come to mind.
    1] if the drive way has settled . call a concrete jacking company, they drill holes in the slab and pump in a mud mix that lifts the slab.

2] cut a slot at the edge of the garage apron and install a driveway drain with the outlet fed to a dry-well.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Concrete driveway settled slightly toward garage...

I'd vote for option #2. It doesn't sound serious enough to go to the expense of #1. A dry well will/should take care of the run off from the grate.