+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

Thumbs down Re: exterior house paint - Duration

We used Duration (Sherwin Williams product) on our circa 1902 Victorian after scraping the clapboards down to bare wood. Their claim that it won't blister or peel has proven accurate in the last 8 years, HOWEVER, it also acts as a dirt magnet and we cannot get the dirt off! If you swipe your finger along a clapboard it just smears. We've tried powerwashing (took a little surface dirt off), vinegar and water and a product made specifically to clean the exterior of the house to no avail. I contacted the company and they sent a guy out who took a gallon of paint to be tested - tests revealed the paint was within "normal" specs. Another guy (district manager) is coming out next week to have a look. The paint is not cheap and I'm not thrilled with it. We just rehabbed the original summer kitchen out back and want to paint it to match the house, but I don't want to use Duration. In addition, I'd still like to know how to get the dirt off the house, and no one seems to be able to tell me how.
    To answer your question: it definitely does adhere to the house and I doubt I'd have to repaint, but the house will get grungier looking over time.
    Last edited by fiddlerswife; 08-17-2007 at 02:08 AM.