+ Reply to Thread

Default Modify To Can LIghts

I am replacing exposed ceiling lights on the second floor with can lights. I have access to the attic. I changed one out already but have a big problem. The old light boxes are nailed to the ceiling beams with the holes in the drywall of course around them. With the can lights they won't fit right against the beam so a part of the drywall hole shows when the can is installed. That means I have to do drywall repairs for all eight lights. What am I doing wrong? If nothing what's the easiest way to fix the drywall? Thanks! (Hopefully I have explained the problem clearly.)

Default Re: Modify To Can LIghts

I don't know the size of the existing hole, but do the trims with the can lights cover the difference?

The trims helps but does not cover up the entire hole. There is still a small amount showing.

I can't say that you're doing anything wrong, per se, it's just that the construction of the recessed lights is different from a standard round fixture box.

Aside from patching the sheetrock or finding trim kits with larger bezels, I'm afraid there isn't much you can do. Cutting into the ceiling joists or trusses is NOT recommended and could cause structural failure unless you consult a structural engineer, which would be far more expensive than repairing the sheetrock.

Yup, as with most projects, one thing leads to another and it sounds like a good time to learn how to patch drywall.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I will get some experience at some minor drywall patching.