+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Radiant floor heat mixed with baseboard

I am remodling the second floor of a Levitt house on Long Island. Currently I have baseboard throughout the original radiant floor heating was abandoned due to leaks many many years ago. The entire second floor will be remodled. Can I install radiant floor heating on the second floor while retaining the baseboard on the first floor. I have a two zone system already. I am wondering if each system requires water of a different temperature. I cannot redo the fist level as the home is built on a slab.
    We have been considering forced hot air heated by hot water. The house will have central AC.

WE would rather have no baseboards in the new addition for multiple asthetic reasons. Wall space, bent and always busted looking covers.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Radiant floor heat mixed with baseboard

What's a Levitt house?
    I believe you can it'll probably need some sort of tempering valve and extra stuff to allow the different water temperaures.

Default Re: Radiant floor heat mixed with baseboard

levitremodel:

A radiant install can be done, but it's a lot more involved than baseboard, especially if you already have the BB installed.

One low-cost option would be to simply replace the exterior steel BB covers (called "dummy baseboard", or "baseboard covers"), which are sold at plumbing supply houses separately without the fin-tube heat elements.

This would be for ~$3-$4/ft. if you installed them yourself.

If you still want to try radiant, you'll have to "mess with the floor", meaning you have to either rip up the present floor & sub floor & install radiant tubing (assuming there's no under floor access), or pour a light weight "gypcrete" embedded with plastic PEX tubing; or install a plywood or aluminum tube-encased floor system that has embedded PEX and modify the water temp to maintain 180 degrees downstairs and 100 degrees upstairs.

In addition, various mixing valves, a copper manifold & other controls would have to be added to the system for the radiant portion of the system to work properly.

A heat loss calculation would have to be done to estimate the heat load and to calculate the amount of PEX tubing to be installed sub-floor so that adaquate 2nd floor heat is provided.

This would be a job for a pro radiant heat installer (see Yellow Pages: "heating contractors"), & would be a lot more expensive than upgrading your baseboard system.

Enter "Siegenthaler radiant floor heat" (without the quotation marks) in the search box of the pm mag site below to get lots of articles on radiant retrofits.

Siegenthaler always includes elaborate piping diagrams with his articles, which clarify things---he also has a free book at the public library called "Modern Hydronic Heating" that has different methods of installing hydronic radiant floor heat.

Also enter "a little floor warming please"in the search box of the pm mag site.

Also Google "hydronic radiant floor heat" for numerous internet articles on this topic.

http://www.pmmag.com
    http://forum.doityourself.com/boiler...er-system.html
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 11-11-2008 at 07:33 PM.