+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Peeling paint

Default Peeling paint

In trying to paint the trim and kitchen cabinets in my house, I have run into the problem of the new paint not adhering to the old. I have tried sanding and cleaning the surfaces before painting. I have primed the surfaces and I have tried oil and latex-based paints. The paint never coats evenly and the color is never uniform. The paint will then come off if the surface is hit or scuffed in any way. It will always go back to the previous paint color which was applied by the previous owner of the house. Do anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to resolve this issue and complete this projects?

Default Re: Peeling paint

Rnewsom,

It sounds like you have done the right things , but they are not working. In later years, there have been a lot of super finishes introduced on factory made cabinetry. They are very hard and slick. It sounds like you may have this situation. I would suggest you try some of the de-glossers on the market. They are chemicals which temporarily soften the old surface so that the new paint can get a bond. They are wiped on with a rag and you can feel the rag get dragy as the surface is softened. There is usually a time period within which you must prime the surface. Any good paint store will have such a product.

Rnewsom,

Just a note on primers: You might want to try a primer such as Zinsers' BIN. This is a pigmented alcohol based shellac primer.
    BIN has about as much adhesion as any primer I know of. If you prefer a water based primer, try the "Gripper" from Glidden. Both are available at Home Depot. Both will adhere to very slick surfaces, even glass and ceramic tile. With the Gripper, maximum adhesion will occur after 24 hours.

Thanks for the information! I'll give it a try.