+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old Pine Floor

Default Old Pine Floor

I have some 18 inch wide pine boards recently milled to 3/4 inches. The boards themselves are about 25 years old and have been well stored. Lengths are 14 - 16 feet. I plan to cover an approx rectangle of 200 sf. I believe the carpet now present is on a plywood subfloor. these are square cut (not T&G) and I plan to lay them out and nail with old style square nails.

Sounds simple so where can I go wrong? Do I need a vapor barrier? any tricks for transitions with door ways? Relativley soft pine but a low traffic area for the most part. What's the best finish?

Thanks all.

Default Re: Old Pine Floor

Yes, you should use a vapor barrier, 15 lb. felt will work. Second I would finish the boards on all sides and ends to help stabilize the wood. If it is not quarter sawn it is going to have a tendency to cup, sealing will help limit that.I prefer "Old Masters" oil based poly. It's a durable, hard finish and has great self leveling properties. Stay away from Minwax products, IMHO in recent years they have become crap.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb