+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: pump

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4

    Unhappy pump

    My basement bathroom toilet is leaking from the bottom. When you flush the toilet the tank empties, but when the bowl fills up. The water starts leaking from the bottom of the tank. What could this be, and how can I fix it
    Granny 51Hidden Content

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,013

    Default Re: pump

    Not quite sure where you're describing the leak. If it's at the water supply line, try tightening the fitting slowly and slightly. If it's at the base of the tank where it attaches to the bowl, you can attempt a similar repair by tightening the tank bolts a little. If that doesn't work, then you'll probably need to replace the tank gasket and the bolt seals. If the toilet is leaking at the base, then a replacement of the wax ring that seals the toilet to the floor flange is in order.

    If you're reasonably handy there's no reason you can't tackle any one of these items.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: pump

    I am sorry That I didn't explain it correctly, When I flush the toilet the tank empties, then the bowl fills up, then water starts coming from under the bowl like the bowl is emptying on the floor around the side of the toilet. I hope this explains it better thank you for any advice you can give me.
    Granny 51Hidden Content

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,013

    Default Re: pump

    If the toilet is leaking between the floor and the toilet, then it's time to pull the toilet and replace the wax seal between it and the flange. This is not a difficult thing to do as long as you can lift 40 to 50 pounds (the approximate weight of the toilet ).


    1. Go to the hardware store and pick up a new wax ring and toilet hold down bolt kit.
    2. Shut off the water supply to the toilet - the valve on the wall under the corner of the tank near the floor. Flush the toilet to remove the majority of the water from the tank, then sop up the rest with a rag. Use a plunger to drain the bowl as much as possible. disconnect the line from the tank.
    3. Remove the bolt cover caps on either side of the toilet, these are the large plastic bumps on the base of the toilet at the floor.
    4. Remove the nuts. This may or may not be easy, depending on whether rust has set it or the bolts were cut off, mangling the threads. Best case scenario is the nuts come off easily, worst case is you have to cut the bolts under the nut - which is why you bought a new wax seal with new hold down bolts included.
    5. This is where it gets a bit tricky because you have to lift the toilet, at least onto a garbage bag, but I prefer to move it directly into the bathtub or shower, where it can be rocked onto it's back so that the base of the toilet can be cleaned from slim and old wax seal remnants. A putty knife and paper towels come in handy here.
    6. Clean the remaining wax seal and debris from the floor flange as well.
    7. If the nuts came off the hold down bolts easily, there's probably little reason to change them, however, if you had to cut them or they are damaged or deteriorated in any way, replace them, it will make your job easier. I personally like to nut the hold down bolts to the flange securely (will require reusing the original nuts or having a second set of nuts at hand ), it makes the installation of the toilet much easier.
    8. Install the new wax ring, carefully set the toilet into place, keeping it as level as possible, then "shimmy" it to settle it down onto the wax ring and floor.
    9. Install the washer and nuts to the hold down bolts and run them down finger tight. If your flooring is vinyl, you'll put about one full turn on the nut, if you've got a tile floor you'll give the nuts about a quarter or half turn past finger tight.
    10. Reinstall the bolt covers.
    11. Reconnect the water line, turn on the water about one turn and check for leaks at the tank and valve. Once everything is deemed dry, turn on the supply fully, less 1/8th turn.


    Congratulations, you've just replaced the wax seal!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    731

    Default Re: pump

    Quote Originally Posted by leggygal51 View Post
    My basement bathroom toilet is leaking from the bottom. When you flush the toilet the tank empties, but when the bowl fills up. The water starts leaking from the bottom of the tank. What could this be, and how can I fix it
    Quote Originally Posted by leggygal51 View Post
    I am sorry That I didn't explain it correctly, When I flush the toilet the tank empties, then the bowl fills up, then water starts coming from under the bowl like the bowl is emptying on the floor around the side of the toilet. I hope this explains it better thank you for any advice you can give me.
    i noticed you named this post "pump" and that the toilet is in a basement.

    if i'm understanding your description right the bowl doesn't empty rapidly with a swirly evacuation down the drain when you flush the toilet, but fills up the bowl and you end up with water leaking on the floor near the base of the toilet.

    is this a newly developed problem and things worked fine before or a new installation or you don't know? basement apartment or your home? how is the drainage from other fixtures?

    although you will end up needing a new ring when you correct the problem but i don't think that IS or was the primary problem, it sounds like you have or had a clog in the toilet or in the drain. if your house sewer isn't lower than the toilet and you have a pump ejector it might not be working or a clog there or anywhere from the toilet's bowl to the city sewer. those ejector pumps and grinder toilets can snag up when things that shouldn't be passed through them are like hygene products, cigarettes, hair and other things people throw in the bowl.

    if when the toilet was slow to drain someone tried to attack it with a plunger to aggressively this can blow the wax seal so it could also be a symptom of a previous clog, sometimes parts of the old wax ring actually fall into the drain and acts like a snag.

    there is a device called a toilet auger or closet auger that may be helpful if there is a clog in the toilet itself. if the clog is further down you might need to rent larger equipment or call a drain clearing service. if you have an ejector pump the problem may be there or at the check valve.

    before you start check to see if the toilet is rocking. when you have the toilet removed check the neck and inside for signs of cracks or chips. if someone forced a regular drain snake down the S trap of the toilet they may have cracked it where you won't be able to see, this can also cause the symptoms you describe.

    you might also have a clog or restriction in the vent.

    when you've solved the slow drain or clogged drainage problem you will still need to replace the wax ring and reset the toilet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4

    Unhappy Re: pump

    I am sorry I left some key information out. I have 2 bathrooms, one upstairs on the first floor and one down in the basement.The bathroom upstairs has no problem, neither does the sinks, washer or bathtubs. We had a friend come in (who's a lincensed plumber come in and look at the problem he said that we need a new pump. We just had a pump installed a couple of years ago. by this same person. People I have asked that do some of thier own home repairs said that I probably just needed a wax ring, but some els suggested that I try the internet to get some answer. I know that no one can diagnose a problem simply by what I write. But this is a expensive repair at a bad time. I am just trying to find some solution to what to me looks like a simple problem The washer and a shower are located in the basement.
    Last edited by leggygal51; 11-11-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: left out some information
    Granny 51Hidden Content

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: pump

    My problem has been solved. I called in a plumber , who pulled my pump and found a sock stuck in it. He removed the sock and the pump started working. The toilet stopped leaking and all is right with the world as far as I am concerned. This is a very useful site. I will recommend it to all my girlfriend .
    Granny 51Hidden Content

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    731

    Default Re: pump

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    i noticed you named this post "pump" and that the toilet is in a basement.

    if i'm understanding your description right the bowl doesn't empty rapidly with a swirly evacuation down the drain when you flush the toilet, but fills up the bowl and you end up with water leaking on the floor near the base of the toilet.

    is this a newly developed problem and things worked fine before or a new installation or you don't know? basement apartment or your home? how is the drainage from other fixtures?

    although you will end up needing a new ring when you correct the problem but i don't think that IS or was the primary problem, it sounds like you have or had a clog in the toilet or in the drain. if your house sewer isn't lower than the toilet and you have a pump ejector it might not be working or a clog there or anywhere from the toilet's bowl to the city sewer. those ejector pumps and grinder toilets can snag up when things that shouldn't be passed through them are like hygene products, cigarettes, hair and other things people throw in the bowl.

    if when the toilet was slow to drain someone tried to attack it with a plunger to aggressively this can blow the wax seal so it could also be a symptom of a previous clog, sometimes parts of the old wax ring actually fall into the drain and acts like a snag.

    there is a device called a toilet auger or closet auger that may be helpful if there is a clog in the toilet itself. if the clog is further down you might need to rent larger equipment or call a drain clearing service. if you have an ejector pump the problem may be there or at the check valve.

    before you start check to see if the toilet is rocking. when you have the toilet removed check the neck and inside for signs of cracks or chips. if someone forced a regular drain snake down the S trap of the toilet they may have cracked it where you won't be able to see, this can also cause the symptoms you describe.

    you might also have a clog or restriction in the vent.

    when you've solved the slow drain or clogged drainage problem you will still need to replace the wax ring and reset the toilet.
    Quote Originally Posted by leggygal51 View Post
    My problem has been solved. I called in a plumber , who pulled my pump and found a sock stuck in it. He removed the sock and the pump started working. The toilet stopped leaking and all is right with the world as far as I am concerned. This is a very useful site. I will recommend it to all my girlfriend .
    Since you had water leaking at the base of the toilet due to the SOCK stuck in your ejector pump and the resulting back-up, and that has now been corrected, you should pull the toilet, clean up the base underside around the flange and the floor area below around the flange, sanitize, and replace the wax ring and reset the toilet, since you had prior failure and back-up leaking there before.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •