+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation sewage gasses in house

Last fall we pumped the septic tank. Shortly after the house began to smell like sewer gasses. No leaks evident. It went away, but now that it is cold again it has returned. Health reasons aside, this is a gross problem and with the cost of heating oil I am not leaving a window open all winter.
    Without any evidence of a leak or clogged vent pipe (in roof), does any one out there know how to find this, inexpensively?
    Last edited by wildflower; 11-09-2008 at 05:35 PM. Reason: tag thread
    Wildflower

Rather than sit out the storm, learn to dance in the rain!
    Hidden Content

Default Re: sewage gasses in house

You could have a drain somewhere in the house where the trap is drying out allowing the sewer gasses back into the house. Possibly a sink that is rarely used or a basement shower that is never used. If your sure that there are no leaks and the roof vent is definitely not clogged this would be my guess. Also sometimes in older houses you may find a basement floor drain piped into the sewer system that could be causing the problem. Hope this helps you out.

Mike

Smile Re: sewage gasses in house

Mike,
    After over a year I finally found some web sites that explained exactly what you just said.
    Just before we had the tank pumped our washing machine broke down and the new one drains into a dry well.
    So guess where the smell is coming from?
    At any rate, I just poured some water in the old drain and almost dropped dead on the spot from the stench. However, it seems to be gone now and if it stays away we will just cap it.
    My husband and I are dancing through the house right now because we have been thinking big bucks for big stinks.
    Thanks a lot. This site is great.It was another post that lead me a web site.
    Wildflower

Rather than sit out the storm, learn to dance in the rain!
    Hidden Content

Default Re: sewage gasses in house

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    Last fall we pumped the septic tank. Shortly after the house began to smell like sewer gasses. No leaks evident. It went away, but now that it is cold again it has returned. Health reasons aside, this is a gross problem and with the cost of heating oil I am not leaving a window open all winter.
    Without any evidence of a leak or clogged vent pipe (in roof), does any one out there know how to find this, inexpensively?
    Just what have you been feeding your husband?

Glad you were able to deduce the problem.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!