+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing a Pellet stove near a laminate floor?

I will be buying a house and I am considering installing laminate wood flooring or bamboo, the house also has electric radiant heat slab subfloors. I was thinking about installing a pellet stove in the open area of the living room and Kitchen to help with heat costs in the winter. With the laminate floors however will the pellet stove and heated slab create issues with temperature fluctuations, and adversely effecting the flooring?

Default Re: Installing a Pellet stove near a laminate floor?

It shouldn't. The floor won't really get much for heat on it from the stove for two reasons, the stove is lined and designed for the heat to radiate out and up. The actual firebox on a pellet stove is extremely small and heats an air chamber which a fan then circulates air through, not unlike a forced air furnace. So the actual heat produced by the stove is small, yet the heat out of that air chamber is quite warm. To further isolate the floor, air is usually drawn in from the bottom of the stove, circulated through the air chamber and out the top front, so the heat is well above the floor anyway.

I would caution you against installing a pellet stove if you are prone to power outtages. Pellet stoves don't work without electricity, as they need it for both the circulation fan and the feed auger. Pellet fuel can also be quite expensive, so do your homework, you may not be saving much for money with one.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    It shouldn't. The floor won't really get much for heat on it from the stove for two reasons, the stove is lined and designed for the heat to radiate out and up. The actual firebox on a pellet stove is extremely small and heats an air chamber which a fan then circulates air through, not unlike a forced air furnace. So the actual heat produced by the stove is small, yet the heat out of that air chamber is quite warm. To further isolate the floor, air is usually drawn in from the bottom of the stove, circulated through the air chamber and out the top front, so the heat is well above the floor anyway.

I would caution you against installing a pellet stove if you are prone to power outtages. Pellet stoves don't work without electricity, as they need it for both the circulation fan and the feed auger. Pellet fuel can also be quite expensive, so do your homework, you may not be saving much for money with one.
    Would a Wood stove be better for the issue of electricity?

Depends on the stove. While a wood stove may not need it for the firebox, most stoves utilize circulation fans now-a-days. Without that fan, most of the heat goes out the chimney, particularly in the case of an insert.

If you're concerned about the need for electricity, make sure the unit you purchase is a manually fired (fed by you ), radiant type stove. What you can do to improve the performance is to use your own circulation fans (even a ceiling fan will help immensely ), and only burn dry, cured wood, which will allow for smaller, hotter fires.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Be sure to check the clearance to combustibles. I'm not sure a wood stove over a wood floor is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Be sure to check the clearance to combustibles. I'm not sure a wood stove over a wood floor is a good idea.
    Well, The main floor would be laminate wood, but I was going to install a stone tile base to set the Stove on and the laminate wood around it. Would anyone have a suggestion as what type of stove would be best.

I would recommend visiting a local dealer or two to see what is out there. Get brochures, specifications, etc on everything that you may be interested in, then spend some time at home with Google, researching what you found. Your local dealer should also be able to offer some specifics installation local requirements, if they can't, the local building department can.

There are different stoves for different purposes, installations, and uses. Mobile homes, for instance require a stove rated for use in a mobile home. You'll probably want to check with your insurance provider to make sure that there won't be any conflicts with them.