+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Garage Door Opener

Our garage door will not stay closed, when you push the button to close it the door closes but opens immediately. There is nothing blocking the door.
    It's a Sears Craftsman garage door opener.

Default Re: Garage Door Opener

Check the travel switch, it may need a slight adjustment. It could also be the pressure switch, again, a slight adjustment should do the trick.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Sprucey,

I suspect you nailed it, but I'll share a recent experience nonetheless.... FWIW. (About a month ago)

Installed a Chamberlain opener (same critter as a Craftsman, IIRC) It acted the same way.......after functioning just dandy for 20 cycles or so. Suddenly, it "re-opened". Huh? Adjusted everything possible and no difference. I turned the adjustment screws till my arm got tired and it made zero difference in travel or behavior. So........finally peeked inside and saw the problem with the "mechanical trips" on the switches... which I *coulda* resolved with a little tweaking, but....decided that might void the warranty and so ended up tearing the dang opener itself out and returning it for a new one. 15 miles one way. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

It's been a while since I've had to mess with or install an opener, which is why I didn't offer any specific "stick a screwdriver in slot A and twist counter-clockwise 1/8th turn" kind of info.

The owners manual should have basic adjustment information in it or the same info/manual can be found ****** at the manufacturer's website. If minor adjustments don't cure the problem, consult with a warranty shop if the unit is still under warranty, or a shop that specializes in your opener
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I also had the same thing sometimes the safety lights are lined up but the slightest movement makes the lights move enough to break the beam.Making the door reverse and the light on the opener blink real fast. Make sure the mounting brackets are tight and the beam on the safty lights are in line with each other. This drove me nuts for months
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    I also had the same thing sometimes the safety lights are lined up but the slightest movement makes the lights move enough to break the beam.Making the door reverse and the light on the opener blink real fast. Make sure the mounting brackets are tight and the beam on the safty lights are in line with each other. This drove me nuts for months
    Along the same lines is spider webs across the eye of the beam/sensors. I've had that happen a few times, or a wire getting bumped on the back and coming loose.