+ Reply to Thread

Default How long to cure paint

I am painting my kitchen cabinets and will be using an oil base paint. How long should the final coat of paint cure before I rehang the cabinet doors. I want to prevent sticking.
    Opinions please on oil vs waterbase paints.
    Last edited by RealtorRose; 11-10-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Default Re: How long to cure paint

when I have done this in the past it has taken anywhere from several days to several weeks depending on the humidity
    I would wait a few days and then feel them to see...if its going to stick it will still have a sticky quality to it to touch...

...not tryin' to be "smart" here, but why on earth are ya planning on oil?!

Oils & Latexes are usually fully hardened-off in a month. Before installing though, I'd let-'em sit for a day or two if possible.

The new Latex/Alkyd hybrids are better, smell LOTS less, and are VOC-legal (or nearly so...).
    Examples are Cabinet-Coat by Insl-X; ACE Cabinet/Door/Trim-paint; and a few others.

If you're using a light-colored oil, it WILL yellow. Some brands faster than others...but they WILL yellow.
    Oils are just about in "dinosaur" status now, and soon will be VERY hard to get.

Except for some primers, ACE (and many other mfr's.) has discontinued production of all oils (paints).

Just lettin' you know!

Faron

Unfortunately, I have not tried the two products named by Faron. I do have personal experience with Muralo's "Ultra" waterbourne enamel line. It is the closest I have seen to an oil base paint in terms of leveling out to a smooth finish. It also dries hard and sands like an oil paint without gumming up the paper like most acrylic paints. The Muralo Company is best known as the owner of the trademark "Spackle", but makes a great line of paints. Unfortunately, it does not market its products out here on the West Coast to the best of my knowledge.

If my choice were between an oil paint or a conventional acrylic "enamel", I would stick with the oil inspite of its yellowing. Normal acrylics never get really hard and retain a gummy quality which results in sticking of surfaces, especially in humid weather.

Hi Faron,

I plan to use a cream color so I'm not too worried about the yellowing as much as the durability. Kitchen cabinets get a lot of use and I find that the oil base paints are more durable and level better. In all honesty, I have not tried the paints that you recommended but I'm afraid to take a chance on the entire kitchen and then regret it in the end. Yes, a gallon of oil base paint is quite expensive but the end product is more important to me than the price since it involves a great deal of labor. I was planning on using oil base Kilz as a primer. Could I use that primer and then apply a waterbased paint.

Rose,

Kilz is a good general quick dry oil primer, however, for fine enameling I would use one of those designated as "oil enamel undercoater". They are specially formulated to give good adhesion on slick surfaces and better sealing of porous surfaces. All the major manufacturers make a version of it. A light sanding of the undercoater is then required. Clean off the sanded up dust and then go to it!