+ Reply to Thread

Default Driveway problems

Had a concrete driveway installed.
    Upon completion, the driveway was about 1" to 2" higher in places than the surrounding dirt.
    The worst problem is by the gate area. This area is paved (about 4" x 6") and now the new driveway's height is about 2 1/2 inches higher than the paved area. When I park the car, I'm forced to step down from the driveway to the paved area. I haven't been able to figure out how to solve this problem.
    What I thought I might do is to cut the bottoms off the wooden gate, take up the pavers, put in more soil and then put the pavers on top of the added soil. ....
    Since I'm new at all this - I thought I'd get a professional's opinion or suggestion. Thank you.

San Diego, CA

Default Re: Driveway problems

I'm trying to envision your driveway and the elevation problems and from what I can tell, your idea about removing the pavers and raising the level by putting in more sand is OK. As you said, cutting the bottom of the gate will be needed once you have the pavers installed. You'll have to scribe the gate bottom to the highest point in the pavers/driveway so that it clears all the way open as well as completely closed.

I also have to wonder about the contractor who installed the driveway. Doesn't sound too good to me but I'm not there either.

Good Luck.