+ Reply to Thread

Default Wallpaper behind toilet

I am trying to remove old wallpaper from our main bathroom, and I am having trouble removing the old wallpaper from behind the toilet. What is the best way to do this? Do I need to remove the toilet?

Default Re: Wallpaper behind toilet

Quote Originally Posted by jbenson01 View Post
    I am trying to remove old wallpaper from our main bathroom, and I am having trouble removing the old wallpaper from behind the toilet. What is the best way to do this? Do I need to remove the toilet?
    sometimes that is the best way. if you have a 2-piece toilet sometimes you can get away with just disconnecting and removing the tank. if you go that route purchase new washers for the tank side of the bolt heads at a minimum, you will likely need a new tank to stool gasket also as they tend to be misshaped from their prior installation and are almost impossible to reset leak free when trying to reuse if the toilet has been in use for any length of time. if you remove the entire toilet you'll need a fresh wax ring at a minimum and a way to block the sewer gas from wafting into the room while the toilet is removed and prevent things from falling into the toilet flange.

Removing the toilet would be the easiest and fastest. As blue stated you would need a new wax seal when reinstalling.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have spent many hours removing wall paper in the bathrooms of my son's and my house. I am going to work on a fourth bathroom over Thanksgiving time. In all cases, we just shut the water off and removed the tank. it is a "wet" job, but as much water was removed as possible before taking it off and it's removal certainly made removing the wall paper and subsequent painting of the bathroom much easier. It's not a bad job and a do-it-yourselfer can handle it. It just looks intimidating.
    Kathleen

I recently redid our bathroom and had to remove wallpaper and paint. I just removed the tank from the toilet. Made it very easy. It's not hard at all to do, usually just 3 bolts. I didn't get new gaskets or washers and haven't had any leaks. Just need to make sure everything is tightened down real good.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Just need to make sure everything is tightened down real good.
    BE CAREFUL! Overtightening could crack the tank or bowl. It needs to be tight enough to compress the seal between the tank and bowl, so that the tank doesn't wiggle.