+ Reply to Thread

Question How to install engineered wood floor under this door

I have the knowledge of installing a wood floor under a door by cutting casing and door jamb. But that seems working only for interior doors. This exterior door to the back yard has a thin casing which can't cover the expansion gap, and there is a threshold there, so I can't cut the jamb. My idea is to replace thin casings with thick casings to cover the expansion gap and put a shoe modeling next to the threshold between 2 casings to cover the gap between floor and threshold. I'm not sure whether this is a good way. Any advice?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6641s.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	3462  

Default Re: How to install engineered wood floor under this door

What you need is a transition molding that matches the floor. It will be approximately 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" wide and about an 1/8" thicker than the flooring with a rabbet along one edge. It will be at least 36" long, if not up to 8'. Back cut the trim to the height of the transition molding and slide the molding it up against the threshold. The molding can either be nailed or glued in place with caulk along the gap between it and the threshold. Now, you simply run the flooring up under the transition molding with the correct gap and you're ****en.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

dang... sprucey beat me to it. when i was out restocking the fridge he was on here posting a response..

but yeah what he says is pretty much standard procedure for the construction industry
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    dang... sprucey beat me to it. when i was out restocking the fridge he was on here posting a response..

but yeah what he says is pretty much standard procedure for the construction industry
    At least one of us had our priorities right ... What was I thinking? It is just about that time, isn't it?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: How to install engineered wood floor under this door

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    What you need is a transition molding that matches the floor. It will be approximately 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" wide and about an 1/8" thicker than the flooring with a rabbet along one edge. It will be at least 36" long, if not up to 8'. Back cut the trim to the height of the transition molding and slide the molding it up against the threshold. The molding can either be nailed or glued in place with caulk along the gap between it and the threshold. Now, you simply run the flooring up under the transition molding with the correct gap and you're ****en.
    That's really simple and standard.

Quote Originally Posted by qhwang View Post
    That's really simple and standard.
    I'm a firm believer in not over complicating things. Simple is good.

I didn't say it in my last post. When you back cut the trim for the transition strip, the transition strip will run from outside edge to outside edge of the door trim, across the doorway. If the end of the transition strip is visible and unsightly, you can either stain it to match the floor (if real wood ) or caulk it with matching caulk (as would be the case with Pergo like products ).

Thumbs up Re: How to install engineered wood floor under this door

Sounds great. Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by qhwang
    I'm looking for the transition modeling you told me to use. According to your description, it sounds like I should use a baby threshold or a square nose. But I'm not quite sure. Look forward to your response.

Thanks,
    Depends on the height of the threshold and what fits and looks the best. From this image you could use either the medium or baby threshold. I prefer more of a squared off back corner (left side of molding ) than these beveled examples. Keep in mind that this image is of generic molding styles, and not necessarily what it reflected by what is available for your type of flooring. If you have the means to make your own trim, then you make it any way that suits your needs and tastes.

[IMG]http://www.woodfloors******.com/techtalk/mouldings-outlines2.gif[/IMG]

Smile Re: How to install engineered wood floor under this door

Feels cove or baby threshold are better. Thanks.

Keep in mind that the doorway is a heavy traffic area. The transition molding would be more stable than a cove. It will also have a lower profile and be less inclined to grab toes.