View Poll Results: How to remove a Popcorn ceiling?

Voters
3. This poll is closed
  • Water down and scrap off?

0 0%
  • Scrap off?

1 33.33%
  • Water down, scrap off, and sand down?

2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Cool Removing Popcorn Ceiling

Moving into a new home at the end of the mouth, the living room has popcorn ceiling and we would like to remove it and put a fresh coat of paint down. How do we go about removing the popcorn ceiling?

We have heard water it down, scrap it off, sand it down as a method?
    Last edited by TOH2315; 11-11-2008 at 02:27 PM.

Talking Re: Removing Popcorn Ceiling

My husband and I just did this in our whole house! We tried it several ways (dry, wet, sand, don't sand, paint, etc), but we found that the best way is to sc**** it wet. We used a pump-up sprayer and sprayed a nice size working area and sc****d it off. We found that this was the least messy. The dry scraping just gets dust everywhere. When you are scraping wet, some might fall on to the wall and it will flake right off if you wait for it to dry. After we sc****d the ceilings, we put a skim coat of joint compound and then resprayed a knock-down texture. Skim coating is not fun and we tried to try to texture over it and found that you use way more joint compound that way. Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck

Default Re: Removing Popcorn Ceiling

First and foremost, if the home is pre 1978, it is likely that there is asbestos in the texture. If you are at all concerned about asbestos or whether or not your texture contains it, sc**** a sample into a ziploc baggie and take it to your local city/county extension office for testing (free test ).

Once you're reassured that there's no asbestos, the best means of removal is with water. As was previously posted, a small garden sprayer works great (just make sure it's clean and chemical free, i.e. a new sprayer used for water only ). As with all things, there are caveats.

1. If the texture is raw, unpainted, then spray the entire ceiling with water, enough to wet, but not enough to run/drip. Do this systematically so that once you reach the end of the room, start over and do it again. You'll apply 2 to 4 coats of water mist before it's been absorbed enough to remove with ease. From there, scrap with a 3" or 6" drywall knife, applying more water as necessary.
    2. If the texture has been painted, then you'll need to scrap it first to knock some of the paint off to allow the water mist to penetrate the texture. You'll use the same drywall knife to scrap, but the going will be slower and the effort a little greater.

Before starting, remove as much of the furniture as possible and d**** plastic across the floors to catch the water mist and texture. Once you're done, you simply roll up the plastic and toss it into the garbage can (bagging may be beneficial ).
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I know I have heard several say spray it with water.
    I have removed lots of it, I have never used water, I take a 10 inch knife (mainly because it is my sharpest) and laying the knife fairly flat to the ceiling sc****d the majority of the texture off. Then I use my portor cable sander to sand it down

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    I know I have heard several say spray it with water.
    I have removed lots of it, I have never used water, I take a 10 inch knife (mainly because it is my sharpest) and laying the knife fairly flat to the ceiling sc****d the majority of the texture off. Then I use my portor cable sander to sand it down
    Not questioning your methods, we all have what works for us. I personally like the water method because it keeps the dust/debris to a minimum, generally makes the job easier, and there's no sanding. I've done it both ways and regardless of being wet or dry, there is always surface damage that requires repair/floating. Also, considering current building practices, there's a significant amount of back filling to do because joints and fasteners are little more than "fire taped", i.e. single coated, before the acoustic texture gets hosed on. There is much floating to be done before the surface is ready for new texture or paint.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I just finished 1,500 sq. ft.of popcorn removal by using the pump sprayer method and the Homax ceiling sc****r my ceilings were not painted luckily the sc****r is attached to a pole and lets you fill a bag with material rather than getting it all over the floor it rocked if you ask me

Rather than the mess of the job and not wanting to mess with the asbestos part of it either, my brother covered the ceilings in my parents home with bead board and painted it and it looked really good.

i use to soak and sc****, then switched to simply going over it with a fresh layer of drywall.

i had sc****d god knows how many ceilings after soaking em to get rid of popcorn ceilings. only to have to skim coat the entire ceiling before painting.. save a ton of time and simply find the strapping in the ceiling mark it then put up new drywall, saves a ton of time and alot less mudwork and sanding
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Smile Re: Removing Popcorn Ceiling

I always loved walking around with a pound of wet popcorn stuck to the soles of my shoes! Then having to remove my shoes less I track it throughout the house!