+ Reply to Thread

Default cement patio over garage

Hi,
    I'm hoping I can get some ideas for the patio over the garage I have. I'm looking for a way I can seal it or cover it to keep water from getting into the garage. To see a picture to give a better idea as to what I'm dealing with, click here:
    http://www.chowland.com/showphoto.php?photo_id=243

I've thought of the floating vinyl, to tiles to garage paint and epoxy. I'm just not sure the best way of going about this.
    Price is an concern also, otherwise my wife will make me sleep in the garage
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks
    -Chris

Default Re: cement patio over garage

I have a cement patio over a carport that I need to replace. I am getting posts advising that a wood frame covered by a membrane with a floating deck over it may my best option.

I have a cement patio over a carport that I need to replace. I am getting posts advising that a wood frame covered by a membrane with a floating deck over it may my best option.

Chowland - Ok, I have some questions. Is the water leaking through the garage ceiling or is it coming down the garage walls due to water runoff from the porch? Is the porch sloped at all? Is there a piped drainage system for the porch? What material is on the porch now?

Water runoff may be solved by installing gutters or a set of drains and drain lines. If it is coming through the ceiling, you'll likely need to remove the current covering and install a rubber membrane and re cover it with wood or tile.

jrg - Are you going to remove the concrete patio that is there now or are you going to build over it. Building over it may cause weight issues with the support structure and you'll likely need to consult a structural engineer to verify.

Unhappy Re: cement patio over garage

Quote Originally Posted by jrg View Post
    Been there, done that...$8K later...what a mess! Perhaps the installation was not done correctly, but the contractor put a rubber membrane down & then a "floating deck" ...within 10 months the center railing was pushing outward...within 14 months, we had a heavy waterfall pouring down between our entry/living rooms. The contractor never showed up & blocked our calls. We don't have any solution so we just covered it with plastic until we can save more $$ & find a responsible contractor who knows how to deal with a roof deck. Our home was built in 1980 & this 7'x14' deck is over the finished entry room. The original cement & tile deck lasted many years, with silicone application 3xyear, until the terrible winters of the 1990s, then only ceiling stain.

I know that flat roofs of any kind give problems due to drainage/leveling issues. I think that the questions asked by Miles2152 are important to answer before anyone tries to guide you.