+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default what is this tool?

I found this in an old tool drawer after my dad died. Does anyone know what it is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_1221.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	1809  

Default Re: what is this tool?

it looks like a trimming loop i use when i'm throwing pots. maybe he used it to trim away excess putty when he reglazed windows.

It is called a p-e-n-c-i-l. A writing instrument used in past ages to write down letters and numbers on a piece of paper. It has an ERASER on the blunt end which at one time was used to ERASE (Make go away), mistakes in writing. (Eraser was rubbed against paper, eliminating marks made by p-e-n-c-i-l.)

LOL that's what I thought it was Ken but I wasn't quite sure so I didn't want to post until someone confirmed my thoughts.

Mike

The lead may be #2 BUT let us not go there................

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    It is called a p-e-n-c-i-l. A writing instrument used in past ages to write down letters and numbers on a piece of paper. It has an ERASER on the blunt end which at one time was used to ERASE (Make go away), mistakes in writing. (Eraser was rubbed against paper, eliminating marks made by p-e-n-c-i-l.)
    i believe the tool in question is pictured below the p-e-n-c-i-l, and that the pencil was in the photo to serve as a guage for the wooden handled wire loop pictured below it.

Thanks for the info. I guess the pencil did throw you off so thanks for clearing it up for me Ken. It was used to show size since I was serious about trying to find out what the real tool is.

catspjamas,

see the following link for pottery trimming loops:

http://www.baileypottery.com/pottery...tools-trim.htm

although I use steel or stainless steel loops since aluminum loops (as linked) tend to negatively affect glazes and salt glazes.

as mentioned if your Dad wasn't a ceramics or potter perhaps he used the tool to trim away excess window putty when reglazing windows or similar work. The angle of the handle to the loop sugests the window glazing work use. Did you have steel windows?
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 11-08-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Naw, just having fun................ Blue may be spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by catspjamas View Post
    Thanks for the info. I guess the pencil did throw you off so thanks for clearing it up for me Ken. It was used to show size since I was serious about trying to find out what the real tool is.
    He was, of course, kidding.

The loop is probably as BRP suggests, a trimming loop for clay modeling/throwing. Given it's size, it's not sturdy enough for much else.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!