+ Reply to Thread

Default Sticking Windows

I just had my house painted this summer. The house is of 1911 vintage so has old double hung windows. Although the painters left with the windows opening, they have been sticky. I am wondering if anyone knows a way to prepare them for the winter season when they will be mostly closed so that they will open easily in the Spring. Is there a recommended lubricant to spray in the window track?

Default Re: Sticking Windows

Did they paint the track that the windows run in? If so this is likely the problem as it will have made the opening a little smaller. If they are just sticking you don't want to spray anything in there as any oil will make a mess and will attract dirt and dust. Use bees wax and on the surface where the windows slide and that should help things move better. Hope this helps you out.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. The painters did not paint the track. I think beeswax sounds like a good idea. I'll try it and hope to have fresh air in the spring.

I agree that bees wax is the best thing to use. I have done this myself and it works really well. The other thing that I might mention is that once you put the bees wax on the window rail openings you might want to put a hair dryer on the bees wax to help melt it and put a even coat of bees wax on the surface. If you do not do this when you close the window for the first time you will probably sc**** over half of the bees wax off the rails and onto the floor causing a big mess.

Thanks. Good cautiion. I will get out my hair dryer.

Diana

Smile Re: Sticking Windows

An update: I finally put beeswax on all the window tracks and softened it with a hairdryer. I really noticed a difference. The windows moved very well. Let's hope it lasts the winter. Thanks again for the suggestion.