+ Reply to Thread

Default Slippery Granite Steps

We have two beautiful granite slab steps on the path up to our house... however, they are smooth granite on the tops - which makes them dangerously slippy in the rain.

Any ideas for how I can make them less slippy?

I tried painting strips of diluted silicone calk on them - which worked fine, but the thin layer of caulk picked up dirt over time and has worn off now.

Can I etch them with some sort of acid to take away the smooth surface? Or maybe cut a few very shallow grooves in them with a circular saw and masonry blade?

They are too big to remove, so whatever I do it needs to be done in-place.

Default Re: Slippery Granite Steps

I have no experience with this but did see on TOH. They used a torch to heat the surface and cause it to flake off to make a rough surface.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I have no experience with this but did see on TOH. They used a torch to heat the surface and cause it to flake off to make a rough surface.
    Jack
    that it will especially if you use mapp gas, but it ruins the granite and can cause it to crack. what I have done before is to use an acrylic sealer that you can buy from granquartz.com or granitecitytool.com then mix some clean sand in with the sealer and apply. the sand will give you traction and the sealer will bond it to the surface.

sealer mixed with sand - love it! sounds simple.

the granite is several years old and quite dirty - any suggestions on what i should clean it with prior to adding the sealer?

thx,
    -brett

Power washer. If you don't own one you can usually rent one at tool rentals.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

why rent when you can buy? i think you just gave me permission to add one to my growing tool arsenal

if only i had bought shares in home depot before i bought half the store...

Quote Originally Posted by brettmarl View Post
    sealer mixed with sand - love it! sounds simple.

the granite is several years old and quite dirty - any suggestions on what i should clean it with prior to adding the sealer?

thx,
    -brett
    denatured alcohol is what we always use. it won't have any harsh chemical reactions with the granite. (won't have a negative effect on the shine and will help draw dirt out of the pours of the granite)