+ Reply to Thread

Default Patio Too Close to the House?

I recently installed a patio with 8" X 16" pavers. I brought the level of the patio to the bottom of the sill of the sliding patio door so you do not have to step down to the patio. When intalling the pavers I cut the siding (cedar plank)to fit the pavers up to the concrete slab of the house. There is about an inch clearance between the pavers and the bottom of the siding. Is this too close to the siding? Before installing the patio the distance from the sill of the patio door to the ground was approximately 6-8". The patio is slopped approximately 2" over 10 feet away from the house to drain any water away from the house. I was told that the distance from the patio pavers to the siding might be too close (not within code??) Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Patio Too Close to the House?

Hi - We had a very similar situation with the house that we bought. The patio was installed by the previous owner very close to the patio door so that there would not be a step. I knew this was a potential problem and when I removed the patio, saw that it had rotted my sill plate underneath the patio door. I had to remove the patio, regrade the entire section and then reinstall the pavers.... plus pay to have my sill plate replaced underneath the door.... It's a big job, but worth it to do it right and not have to worry about your sill plate rotting or providing access for wood-destroying insects. If you have a 2inch drop over 10ft, for your patio, it's slightly less than the recommended 1/4inch drop per foot. If I were you, I'd remove the patio, redo the grade to give you at least 9inches between the top of the pavers and your sill, and install a step. That's my opinion based on my experience.
    Hope that helps.

Default Re: Patio Too Close to the House?

I would agree with philth ---- the patio is too high.
    There's a reason the grade was 6 inches lower --- to prevent water attacking the structure and your wood siding.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush