+ Reply to Thread

Smile Lower attic insulation and rewire

Hello guys, I am converting a 2nd floor attic into a nursery. In the process of adding some additional lighting I found the the main light for the room is a junction point for several different lines. I will be finishing the room with new insulation and drywall and would like to know if it would be worth it to update the wiring before I close it in. The current wiring is in pretty good shape and I don't plan to replace everything from the electrical panel at this time. I would like to eventually have grounded wiring throughout the house. Through a crawl space above the 2nd floor I have access to almost all the old wiring. The house was build in 1951. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Time is also important as my wife is expected our daughter in about a month.

Default Re: Lower attic insulation and rewire

Quote Originally Posted by lwink View Post
    Hello guys, I am converting a 2nd floor attic into a nursery. In the process of adding some additional lighting I found the the main light for the room is a junction point for several different lines. I will be finishing the room with new insulation and drywall and would like to know if it would be worth it to update the wiring before I close it in. The current wiring is in pretty good shape and I don't plan to replace everything from the electrical panel at this time. I would like to eventually have grounded wiring throughout the house. Through a crawl space above the 2nd floor I have access to almost all the old wiring. The house was build in 1951. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Time is also important as my wife is expected our daughter in about a month.
    Congrats.

Hard to say for sure what's what with that junction/light fixture you speak of. I would probably consider removing the light from that junction and bring in a new line for the lights in this new space. Also , by code you will need to have arc fault protected circuits for this space.
    Afterall, now is the time when things are accessable as well being legal and safe for the new addition to your family.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

And use tamper proof outlets as well.

Unless I'm reading it wrong... the original post implies the 1951 wiring is not grounded. I can't think of a better time to take care of that then right now when things are accessible and you don't have to divide your attention between watching your impending ankle biter and playing with electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by xyxoxy View Post
    Unless I'm reading it wrong... the original post implies the 1951 wiring is not grounded. I can't think of a better time to take care of that then right now when things are accessible and you don't have to divide your attention between watching your impending ankle biter and playing with electricity.
    Thanks for the input. I will look into an AFCI for the old wiring. There is already a new line in the room for power which has been child-proofed. I really just needed some input on a rewire for the remainder of the floor and will go ahead with that without delay. Take Care

Quote Originally Posted by lwink View Post
    I would rewire now. Its going to be alot easier and you know you want to do it eventually. You don't want to leave in a home with bad wiring. Here is a Q & A I wrote about old wires http://thrasherelectric.com/faqoldhouse.html. You can always go back and rewire, but it makes sense to do as much as possible now.