+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thermostat

Default Thermostat

Last summer my husband put a new digital thermostat in. Our old one was the round Honeywell. The new one he got is also a Honeywell. He had 4 wires to put in. He got it all back together and it worked great. Now it is cold, and I have switched the thermostat to Heat and fan to auto. I turned the thermostat up 3 hours ago and the furnace will not come on. Could it have anything to do with the digital thermostat?

Default Re: Thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by lianissa1959 View Post
    Last summer my husband put a new digital thermostat in. Our old one was the round Honeywell. The new one he got is also a Honeywell. He had 4 wires to put in. He got it all back together and it worked great. Now it is cold, and I have switched the thermostat to Heat and fan to auto. I turned the thermostat up 3 hours ago and the furnace will not come on. Could it have anything to do with the digital thermostat?

Probably, did your husband or you save the instructions?

It is possible that the wires for heat may have been connected incorrectly or programmed incorrectly.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Could it have anything to do with the digital thermostat?
    maybe ..... like Bigwalt said .... check the programming first.

It still may have the values for the A/C stored in memory even though you moved the switch to " heat ".

If it's wired correctly .... then likely you have a problem elsewhere.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Did he test the heat when he switched thermostats? If it WAS working correctly then it may be as simple as a breaker or switch on your furnace being switched off for the summer. And those would be easier to check first before rewiring the thermostat again.

Lobby for a new husband if he can not fix it?

I have to agree to check the programming first. Also to check there is a wire connected to the spot marked "W" on the thermostat.From what I know thermostats rarely are a problem in that they don't work. Usually it's because of them not being programmed or wired correctly.
    If that checks out then you might have a problem with the heating system itself.