+ Reply to Thread

Cool Small ceiling stain...fix?

It's a small water stain (not soft)...about 1" x 4" on the living room ceiling, just above the sofa. The upstairs tub almost overflowed once (it'll NEVER happen again) and I think that's what caused it. How do I remover/cover it without having to repaint the textured (not popcorn) living room ceiling. The living room is 14' x 28' so you understand why I am reluctant to repaint a perfectly good ceiling.

Default Re: Small ceiling stain...fix?

Try using a product called Clorox Clean-up and spray it generously on the stain. If you don't want to go buy a specialty cleaning product, you can mix up your own bleach solution. Protect the area under and around the spray area so that you don't get drift that will cause bleaching of furniture or flooring. The bleach should take out most of the stain and you shouldn't have to so anything else. If it doesn't work, then spot treat the area with a pigmented shellac (Zinnser's red label primer - in aerosol form ), then paint the entire ceiling.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Small ceiling stain...fix?

There is a spray can product made by Kilz called "Up-Shot". It sprays upward with a generic ceiling white colored primer. It is intended to be simply left if the color matches the ceiling. Otherwise, it can be painted over.