+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question chair rail old home

Im wanting to put a chair rail to divide a wall with 2 paint colors. My problem is my floors slope. Do I want to follow the slope or do I want to dead level? I would say it would be more pleasing to eye to follow slope but im a newby at this and dont know for sure.

Default Re: chair rail old home

Normally you would want to set it level but if that doesn't look good there is no reason why it couldn't be on a slope. You would have to try it and see what looks best.

I think you should try to follow the slope. I owned an 1839 house and had some custom bookcases built beside a fireplace. The carpenter leveled it. It looked horrible and crooked (even though it was perfectly straight). You couldn't tell until you looked to the bottom at the baseboard. By time I got home to look at it, it was too late to make it "look" straight.
    Good luck with your project!

thanks for your help I ended up going to lowest point of room and measured the height I wanted and leveled it all around the room. By the time I was done it looked good and I was only off by an 1/2 in. and was not noticable.