+ Reply to Thread

Default Maple Tree - Trunk has mold on it and is malformed

We have maple trees in our front yard that I estimated to be about 10 years old. The trunk on these trees look very odd and twisty. There is also a green mold substance on part of the truck. Any ideas what this might be? Please see the attached pictures.

Thanks for your help! Kim Roetman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00061-20100411-1724.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	3458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00062-20100411-1724.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	3459  

Default Re: Maple Tree - Trunk has mold on it and is malformed

In 10 years that tree should be considerably larger, it is not healthy! That scar has caused the old wood to rot out and disease to set in. The thickness and quality of the bark is also indicative of an ailing tree. I'd take it out and replace it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hmm, that is not good news. Even worse news is that both trees in the front yard look like that.

Do you think the disease is in the soil? So if we replace these trees with new ones could the new trees get the same problem?

Can you tell that I work with computers, not trees?

Judging from the scar on the side, I'd say the trees were injured, which allowed the disease in. I do not know if it is something that would also be harbored in the soil, it's possible, but I doubt it. Your county extension office or an arborist would be able to tell you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree that some physical damage probably caused the problem. I doubt if it anything in the soil. Maple trees will grow just about anywhere.
    I wouldn't fool around with the tree from the damage shown. I would remove it and plant another. Maples can be nice, but can also be a bit problematic and they grow quite large if it's very close to the house.

Thank you all for your feedback! I really appreciate the advice.