+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crown Moulding

Question Crown Moulding

I have a home that is cinder block construction. Inside is sheetrock over insulation secured horizontally with strapping. I want to install crown moulding to add warmth to my rooms, but finding anything to nail the moulding to is nearly impossible. Does anyone have any ideas? I though of some sort of heavy duty adhesive, but don't know if that would work or what kind to buy. I'm a single mom raising my granddaughter so hiring a contractor is OUT of the budget.

Default Re: Crown Moulding

Well, I’ll be 50 next March, grandpa as well and am single at the moment……….. Have an extra master BR in CO………….. Have all the tools and skills to install crown………….

TOH, Perfectmatch lol!

In all honesty…… I like you for the question because of the question.

You can do the job with a few simple tools. A Miter Box and a coping saw……… Adhesive and a few nails would work, but, framing members are there. Just need to find them.

You would need to understand here a HD rider, and Honda rider, and Buell rider……… For it to work.

6’ 3” 175 lbs………. Here.

HEY! LOL! Here for years folks…………..

grammax...you may need to use a "nailer board" behind the crown if you don't have enough framing to fasten the crown itself to. Basically it is a 1 x ? board that is fastened to the framing in the wall - ceiling corner at the angle that your crown will be installed. The crown is then fastened to this board with .

Hey Kent.....you got to tone it down a little and play hard to get!! If you're too eager, it will only scare them away!!

Thanks Kent, but I'm in northern NY (near the Canadian border) Colorado WAY to far, although I would like to see the west.
    Anyway, I have tried the miter box/coping (which is a pain in the ass by the way, but I'm trying). My only problem is attaching it to the wall/ceiling. I'll look into the suggestion of a 1x? behind the crown.
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    grammax...you may need to use a "nailer board" behind the crown if you don't have enough framing to fasten the crown itself to. Basically it is a 1 x ? board that is fastened to the framing in the wall - ceiling corner at the angle that your crown will be installed. The crown is then fastened to this board with .

Hey Kent.....you got to tone it down a little and play hard to get!! If you're too eager, it will only scare them away!!
    I too suspect that a nailer is in order. Once you find a stud, the others will be easy because they should be 16" on center. Another plus is that the nailer doesn't actually have to find studs because it's high enough that you can probably find the top plates in the wall. Also, when using a nailer, you don't have to worry about it being perfectly placed, just as long as it's more shallow than the crown, meaning that there is a bit of space between the crown and the nailer.

If you haven't gotten your coping skills honed yet, the easiest way to do it is to cut the 45* miter, with the profile of the molding being the heel of the miter (the flat back of the molding would be the pointy part ). Then all you do is cope the profile of the face to the miter cut.

And about Kent, we try not to let him out very often.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!