+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plumbing Noises

Default Plumbing Noises

Even my plumber is stumped! My home is 60+ years old. The kitchen and one bath were replumbed 20+ years ago. The other two bathrooms are the problem. When I turn on the water, I get a very LOUD groan (not knocking)....the same when I turn it off. This happens almost every time, but not always. I do get a groan and high pitched noise in the shower if I turn on the hot water first. When I do the cold water and then turn on the hot water, it usually doesn't make much noise. It seems to be getting worse and is so volatile I'm afraid it's going to damage the pipes. Any ideas? Thanks.

Default Re: Plumbing Noises

Groaning is generally caused by the pipes rubbing against floor joists as the pipes expand and contract due to temperature change. Check and see if you have half round pipe hangers holding the pipes tightly against the joists.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If you have a pressure regulator valve that may also be a source of the sound.

Another possibility is loose parts (washer) in a valve somewhere in the line. Water flowing past can cause it to "flutter" or vibrate at certain velocities.