+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Running EMT

Default Running EMT

My locale requires EMT in residential wiring. While I've run it in industrial settings I'm wondering what's commonly done in homes. Particularly when running through studs, say outlet to outlet. Can I notch the stud? And how much? Also, a portion of the remodel has 2x4 nailers perpendicular to joists on the ceiling. Can I run the conduit under the joists, between the nailers?

Default Re: Running EMT

Are the walls finished? If not, drill 3/4" holes and there should be enough flex in 1/2" EMT to fit it through the studs, albeit with some elbow grease. Or use a lot of connectors. I don't know if that will make it easier or more difficult than notching unless the walls are finished.

Default Re: Running EMT

Quote Originally Posted by kjwilde View Post
    My locale requires EMT in residential wiring. While I've run it in industrial settings I'm wondering what's commonly done in homes. Particularly when running through studs, say outlet to outlet. Can I notch the stud? And how much? Also, a portion of the remodel has 2x4 nailers perpendicular to joists on the ceiling. Can I run the conduit under the joists, between the nailers?
    Still needed in residential settings is horse & buggy thinking.