+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Troublesome Ditch in Yard

I know this is a topic probably covered before, but I have been unable to find a how-to guide here on the site.

There is a large ditch or gully in our side yard that has been a continual problem. It serves no function, and seems to have developed over time due to water pouring out of a once broken gutter. I know that just filling it with top soil is probably not the way to go, so I need come advice. What is the best way to fill in this ditch, so I can reclaim it as usable yard space? It's a real pain to mow around.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Liddy

Default Re: Troublesome Ditch in Yard

If the gutter problem has been rectified, fill the ditch and be done with it. If you've still got run off issues either from the gutter or the downspout, then install a drainage system to handle the runoff, then fill the ditch and be done with it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The problem with the gutter is fixed and it's properly draining. That is not the issue here. I'm hoping to find the best way to fill the ditch so it won't just simply wash out when it rains, or worse create a muddy pit after a good rain.

In the wet season, is the ground around the ditch excessively wet or muddy? Is there flowing water in the ditch when it rains?

If the answer is yes to either of these questions, then you still have a drainage problem and the ditch will possibly wash back out or the area will become muddy. If the answer is no, then simply fill in the area and be done with it. It really is just that simple.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

you can just fill it in and then plant grass seed or a fast growing ground cover so it doesn't wash out

Get some pea gravel and put about 1-2 inches of it in the ditch. Then put top soil in on top of that and tamp it down. Then take some more topsoil and put about 1-2 inches in the hole but don't tamp it down too much. Rake it with a steel rake and plant bermuda grass seed add some starter fertilizer and water daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolio777 View Post
    Get some pea gravel and put about 1-2 inches of it in the ditch. Then put top soil in on top of that and tamp it down. Then take some more topsoil and put about 1-2 inches in the hole but don't tamp it down too much. Rake it with a steel rake and plant bermuda grass seed add some starter fertilizer and water daily.
    Thank you Toolio! This is just the sort of detailed advice I was looking for.