+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Water Heater or Pipes Explosive Sound

It all started a few days ago. The water heater or pipes from the basement made a terrible loud rumbling explosive noise. Then little water came from the faucets and showers. A few hours later everything was back to normal; until today. It started when I turned on the laundry room cold water, there was a yellow color to the water and sand came out. I tried the hot water and that appeared fine. I then tried the kitchen faucets, but neither the hot or cold worked. I tried the dishwasher and the hot water worked fine. I tried the other bathroom sinks they don't work, but the shower hot and cold water works in the bathroom closest to the water tank in the basement, but not the hot or cold water from the sink in that basement bathroom.

Can you help?

Thank you.

Default Re: Water Heater or Pipes Explosive Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Eagan View Post
    It all started a few days ago. The water heater or pipes from the basement made a terrible loud rumbling explosive noise. Then little water came from the faucets and showers. A few hours later everything was back to normal; until today. It started when I turned on the laundry room cold water, there was a yellow color to the water and sand came out. I tried the hot water and that appeared fine. I then tried the kitchen faucets, but neither the hot or cold worked. I tried the dishwasher and the hot water worked fine. I tried the other bathroom sinks they don't work, but the shower hot and cold water works in the bathroom closest to the water tank in the basement, but not the hot or cold water from the sink in that basement bathroom.

Can you help?

Thank you.
    if you have a tank type water heater that is fuel fired i'd be suspicious that you have a lot of sediment at the bottom of the tank that can make a lot of moise banging around when the water heater is firing and the water heater tends to burn too long and steam explosions between the hot bottom of the inner tank and a layer of crust/crud under the water.

sediment/sand after banging noises plus yellow water can be a sign of an impending failure of a neglected water heater (unless the inner tank is stainless steel).

if you have a lot of mineral scale the temperature and pressure safety valve inside the tank side might be crusted over too and not functioning properly have you ever tested to see if you can open and close it? if it is scaled over and cannot function correctly it is a very dangerous situation for you.

the fixtures where you aren't getting any flow you might remove the aerators and check the screens for build up you can also check flow by disconnecting the supply lines from the stop valves in case the faucet valves or cartridges are clogged.

how is your water pressure regulated? do you have city water or a private well? what type of plumbing material do you have for your potable plumbing, is it galvanized pipe? how old is your home, the water heater, etc.?

Whether you have a fuel fired tank type water heater, electric, tankless or on demand type, i suggest that you contact a professional plumber immediately to track this down for you, and that you shut down the water heater in the interim. sediment or sand flowing through and clogging plumbing, sudden bursts of yellow water, and explosive noises from the plumbing system and/or a water heater is not a good combination.