+ Reply to Thread

Default deglossing finishes

Is there any way to de-gloss a finish without refinishing? I would like to turn a gloss finish (oil-based paint) into more of a semi gloss. I was wondering if maybe extra-fine steel wool, or some kind of rub treatment would reduce the gloss.

Default Re: deglossing finishes

On varnish or poly you can use 0000 steel wool, however on paint you run the risk on marking the paint with dark marks using steel wool, I would suggest you try 320 or finer sand paper.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: deglossing finishes

Quote Originally Posted by Kepha View Post
    Is there any way to de-gloss a finish without refinishing? I would like to turn a gloss finish (oil-based paint) into more of a semi gloss. I was wondering if maybe extra-fine steel wool, or some kind of rub treatment would reduce the gloss.
    how long ago was the oil-based paint applied? was it properly stirred first? brush or spray applied, what is this finish applied on (wood, walls, metal?).

depends.

mineral spirits (paint thinner) and a white 3-M finish pad if fresh if the paint was properly stirred and applied in the first place, or

if fully cured, and "washable", washing it with same type of 3-M white finish scrubber pad and TSP then rinsing and neutralizing the TSP residue and rinsing completely.

scuffing it for adhesion and deglossing with either fine or super fine finishing steel wool or white 3-M finishing pads/scrubbers/sanders and coating with semigloss oil based polyurethane.