+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: "sheetrock" for my barn/shop

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    those "wall studs" are actually webs.
    Yes, I know they are webs. I used the quote marks on the studs for a simplification of descriptive use. I never said that there would be no truss uplift, I simply pointed out the usual problem of wall/ceiling separation would not be a problem in this case. It would appear that the building was designed by a professional and code, stress, load, etc was taken in to account and I felt no need to overly complicate the discussion.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

he originally proposed drywalling ceiling and walls of the room-in-attic truss or storage-in-attic truss loft.

you make statements that he is all fine on the loading for drywall. you have no way of knowing if these were storage-in or room-in-attic gambrel trusses so how can you make such a statement, especially when Bill's linked site says the raw ceiling height was 7'5' and his planned finished ceiling was 7' and that he insulated the bottom chords all the way to the outside wall and finished the lower chord lower level all the way to the outside wall with unvented steel. fact is you don't and you're making generalized statements without knowledge or access to the truss specifications or knowing the loading. heck several of you thought the bottom chord was above his loft space.

We actually built a barn similar to his. difference being we had swing doors 14' both sides and have loft doors and have more structural strength before we sided it ours is also larger and just a little bit taller. drywall hanger and stone countertop fabricator skills aside i seriously doubt you have any experience with agricultural post structures exceeding 25 feet.
    this proves my point now point now you drop uplift and try to make personal attacks and change to loads. and for your information during the time that I was doing drywall what you obviously have little knowledge of is that in commercial construction the drywall and metal studs are the same trade including structural metal studs dealing with loads, windloads, uplift etc. etc. I have been incharge of a five story science research building on a college campus 7 story hotel a 12 story hotel. and the list goes on we also have built numerous out buildings out of heavy ga. metal studs. and if you ever come to this area I would be glad to take you to them to show them to you and introduce you to people who have known me for close to 30 years including building inspectors and engineers. you on the other hand I would be very interested to see any experience you have that isn't google related.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    this proves my point now point now you drop uplift and try to make personal attacks and change to loads. and for your information during the time that I was doing drywall what you obviously have little knowledge of is that in commercial construction the drywall and metal studs are the same trade including structural metal studs dealing with loads, windloads, uplift etc. etc. I have been incharge of a five story science research building on a college campus 7 story hotel a 12 story hotel. and the list goes on we also have built numerous out buildings out of heavy ga. metal studs. and if you ever come to this area I would be glad to take you to them to show them to you and introduce you to people who have known me for close to 30 years including building inspectors and engineers. you on the other hand I would be very interested to see any experience you have that isn't google related.
    i dropped nothing. there isn't a single "stud" in this building and it is wood framed not steel. it is a post or pole building with storage-in or room-in trusses. so what does any of your commentary have to do with the post string? NOTHING.

i dropped nothing. there isn't a single "stud" in this building and it is wood framed not steel. it is a post or pole building with storage-in or room-in trusses. so what does any of your commentary have to do with the post string? NOTHING.
    so you don't think metal studs expand and contract? which is the cause of uplift.
    you think I can't do wood framing? I have done both over many years what are your qualifications

The banned Leslie and Drarf*itch strikes yet once again............

Ya know ..................... ahh .... fer get it ..... not worth the aggravation.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

sorry guys I didn't mean to take the bait, its just didn't want bill to be misled he seems to be someone really looking for positive information and hope he can sort through this and see the ones who are giving him good feedback being shown by their reasonableness and practicality

No need to apologize my friend ..... to the contrary ... you're doing a fine job of sorting out the psycho-babbel .... it's just not worth the aggrevation to me joining in to sort out things from you know who.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    ok now i'm curious to what was said here

Oops, my WEB site is in error. That's a typo.
    We assumed a final height of "7.5' " which I apparently messed up - getting in a hurry to post the page. Maybe more accurately ~7 1/2 feet meaning "about that".
    Their words were "is a ceiling height of 7.5' going to be a problem since you asked for 8' originally" when they called me back.
    And I said no, no problem. I'm not a tall person (5' 8" myself) and simply will not put up ceiling fans. ;-) (as much as I'd like to)

So my web page should read a ceiling height of 7' 6" or 7.5' and so on. I suspect they were assuming either steel or sheetrock (drywall) or simply didn't bother calculating for the fractions of inches that would be lost from either method.
    I'm sure my 14' downstairs isn't a FULL 14' if I'd account for the steel, I suspect they measured up about 14' and cut the poles. (but these guys who built it were great)

I run theamcforum.com (webmaster/admin) so I guess I know what can happen......... The other mods have slapped me now and then, too. LOL

Anyway, like my wife keeps reminding me - we spent a chunk on this, a lot of investment, so she said "don't mess it up now, do it right". I'm not even allowed to move my rusty and beat-up shelving and cabinets from the other garage out there. I have to buy new or make it look perfect. Thus, the "little at a time" game. Buy 4 rolls of insulation and a couple pieces of sheet rock this week, something else next payday sort of a thing.